Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diabetic cat / CBD

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Angela133, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Angela133

Angela133 PetForums Newbie

hi all, I’m new to petforums so sorry if this has already been posted.

I have a male diabetic cat who is about 17 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago and it has never been well controlled, the vets are now querying whether he may have a tumour somewhere that is contributing to insulin resistance. He recently seems to be in lots of pain - growling when you touch him/try to pick him up (he is usually extremely friendly), shaking (on blood sugar testing at these times his levels are normal) and not eating/retreating to closed off and dark areas of the house.

My questions are - how can I help to relieve his pain? We have given him some vetergesic intermittently but this makes him very wobbly/grouchy/sleepy and then he doesn’t eat which affects his sugar levels. I have read about CBD oil for cats as a anti-inflammatory and or analgesic, but I understand there is little research about it. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to suggest the CBD oil may help my little man?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Angela133 and welcome :)

I am sorry to hear about your poorly cat, he sounds miserable bless him.

Personally I wouldn't give CBD oil to a cat. The medicinal stuff is very expensive and can only be obtained at present from a private consultant (for humans). The cost of the good quality stuff is about £800 per month (for a human).

I wouldn't trust any of the cheaper unregulated stuff. Research has shown there may not even be any of the correct ingredients in some of the unregulated stuff. The market is rife with scams.

On the other hand unregulated stuff may be much stronger than stated and could make your cat very ill, or be fatal to him.

As your cat is in pain and has Diabetes Mellitus, have you asked your vet to test him for Pancreatitis? There are 2 tests for this - one is the SNAP fPLI test which can be done in the surgery but because it is hard to diagnose accurately it is best to have the backup of the other test too.(SPEC-fP)

Pancreatitis in cats is a nasty illness, and causes all the symptoms you have mentioned your cat suffers. There are 2 different kinds - chronic pancreatitis and acute pancreatitis. They are treated with pain relief, antibiotics, a moderate protein diet and rest. If the cat is not eating much or not eating at all then fluid therapy must be given by the vet to prevent dehydration.

My cat. like yours, does not get on with vetergesic - it makes him very unsteady on his feet, lethargic and depressed. You can ask the vet for Gabapentin which your cat might tolerate better. Though both drugs are opioid-based and could make your cat drowsy. Perhaps try a smaller dose to see if it works?

Another drug to consider is Cerenia, which is often used to treat persistent vomiting in cats. But it is also effective at pain reduction. It is most often given an injection but comes as tablets, though they are large tablets, If he is good at taking tablets with you pilling him you may be OK if you break the tablets up. Or you may be able to hide them crushed in food.

Please keep us updated as to how things go.

Soozi likes this.
  3. Angela133

Angela133 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for responding! He did have pancreatitis not too long ago, was on a long course of antibiotics which the vet asked us to stop after about 2 weeks. But now I’m thinking the antibiotics didn’t work :(
    He’s drinking water fine just not eating, thank you for your suggestions r.e analgesia will definitely bring them up with the vet if this carries on!

Soozi likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Chronic Pancreatitis can have repeat episodes and flare ups. Antibiotics are one part of the treatment, but may not be enough in every case.

There are some online support groups for managing this debilitating feline illness which may be worth looking at. I think there are some on Facebook, though I have not looked into them so far.

Soozi and Angela133 like this.
  5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Having taken CBD myself, I can't imagine you would get a cat to take it willingly. It is most effective if held in the mouth for approx. 1 minute, but it tastes foul. As to its efficacy, it worked for me in terms of analgesia, but it required a reasonable sized dose, which wasn't sustainable long term. A 10 ml bottle was costing in excess of £70, and it would only do around 10-20 doses.

Angela133 likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Was it medicinal grade CBD Carly? I wanted to try it for myself for relief of chronic pain but GP says as the NHS doesn't currently approve it he is not allowed to write me a private prescription for CBD oil. I know of someone who got it from a private consultant in Harley St. Very expensive. Not sure I want to go that route unless I know I can get on with it and it helps me feel better.

I have oral morphine prescribed by my consultant for use PRN but dislike taking it because of the side effects (mainly severe constipation) so I rarely take it. The pain has to be really bad for me to take it.

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

CM, it depends what you class as medicinal grade. I couldn't get it prescribed for me as consultants in this area said exactly the same as yours did, but during my withdrawal from a sustained and high dose long term course of opiates after my surgery, I was really struggling with the increase in pain that you get due to withdrawal... I'm sure you can relate as even with 2 or 3 doses on the trot, you'd get an inkling of this when you stopped. I had numerous friends recommend CBD to me, but didn't take it up as I couldn't find a supplier that I trusted, or who I was happy with in terms of production methods and amount of actual CBD in the finished product. When I hit crisis, we explored admission to an inpatient unit to help me with withdrawal (this makes me sound like a real drug addict, so I'd like to point out for those who don't know me personally that all of these opiates were prescribed, very much needed, and taken according to the prescription). Thankfully I was able to tough it out as the NHS weren't interested in helping as I wasn't classed as an addict, and it would have cost my poor mum thousands to help me, but they recommended CBD also. They worked with a supplier who had spent something like 4-5 years perfecting 2 separate CBD products, 1 pure CBD, and the other a blend of that and something else (I'm afraid I can't remember what) which helped with withdrawal. She'd had good success with their clients. I looked into the company a bit more, and was happy with the way they grew and produced the CBD, so thought I'd give it a try. They offered a reduction in costs to people receiving certain long term benefits, which made a small bottle worth a try.

I'm not going to lie, it's not a miracle cure, but if I took a good sized dose, it would reduce my withdrawal and neuropathic pain from a level where I was having spasms, rigors, sweats etc etc, to a level where I could manage to remain functional of a fashion. It wasn't pretty, but it was manageable. I have now completed my withdrawal, but have since taken it on days where my pain is still bad, as I refuse to touch opiates now. Again, not a miracle cure, but it takes pain down quite a few notches. It also appears to react with different pains in different ways. For example, I find it wonderful for neuropathic pain, but less so for deep bone pain. I gave some to my granny who has lung cancer and associated cancerous rib fractures, and it worked really well for her.

When it comes to opiates, I'll admit that my opinions are strong as I now hate them intensely, but my view is that we know that the opiates aren't great, so if there's another option which *might* work and won't hurt, it might be worth a punt. I can find you the supplier details if you'd like them. I'm not pushing this at all as I know it works for some and not for others, but it did help me cope, and it's the closest to medicinal-like production methods that I could find in the UK.

lorilu likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@carly87 -

Thank you very much for all that information, very helpful. :)

I really would like to give the CBD oil a try and would be pleased if you could give me the supplier details (perhaps by private message would be best).

Interestingly, there's a programme on BBC2 TV this evening (Wednesday 28th August) titled "Cannabis : Miracle Medicine or Dangerous Drug?" It's a report done for "Horizon". I know cannabis is not the same thing as CBD oil, as CBD has had the THC removed from it. But the programme will be worth a watch I think.

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Very interested to watch this actually, as I've also had experience of patients of mine who used the full form of the drug (this was before CBD was around) and had great results with relieving phantom limb pain... Always a worrying situation for me as a professional when I came across them smoking etc, but across the amputee board, we did see results in pain reduction, whether psychosomatic or not who knows.

You know what I'm like with PMs. If you could possibly send me one, then I will dig out those supplier details for you and let you have them. It really is disgusting stuff to take though.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice