Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dexter

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Freyja, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Last sunday we went to look at a dog I was inerested on using as a stud for Honey my smooth chihuahua. I had sent photos of him to her breeder and she liked him a lot and I liked his pedigree.

When we got there she told me I coould buy him for less than I would have paid forr a stud fee as she had just had a new born baby and Dexter was peeing in the house and she couldn't cope and sso he came home with us.

We now know he hs been hit and knocked about for being dirty in the house hee is brilliant with my husband and with my other dogs but he was very scared of women. He was frightened when we put him into the car and nipped me then the next day he slipped his lead while out walking him and led us a merry dance around the cars on a busy main road. Anyway he ran towards me and I knew what was going to happen but it had to be. I grabbed him by the scruff of his kneckk and he bit mee quite badly. Before people say he is not suitable as a stud he was fear biting he was terrified and I knew it was going to happen but he would have been killed if I hadn't grabbed him.

The next day he pooed in the house when he realised I had seen it he ran up the corner cowering away I just said ' Oh you've had a poo well it doesn't matter we can clean it up' Well he wagged his tail at me and then when I sat down came and jumped on my knee. Now we are best friends he knows he'll not be smacked he is not dury in the house he goes out for wee's and poo's and will ask to be taken out.

Just goes to show with a little love he is responding to us and being a good boy clean in the house he has put weight on as he was very skinny he was just pushed out because of a new baby he had always been the womans baby but when the new baby arrived he was no longer the baby and reacted by being dirty in the house. He is now a happy loving littlle dog who knows his place in the family.

This is Dexter when he first arrived you can see just how frightened he is.

Attached Files:

Colette, AlexPed2393, Muttly and 2 others like this.
  2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Poor Dexter, glad he's doing better now.

How many dogs does that bring you up to?

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No idea I never count them lol but about 18 I think II don't really count the chihuahuas as 1 dog each as they are small and don't eat much and I can walk 6 together.

I didn't go with the intention of bringing Dexter home it just happened it was obvious he wasn't wanted or loved any more

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Dammmmmmm - that's made my eyes go all leaky .... seems even worse that this was supposedly a decent breeder who should care about their dogs :(

poor wee button :( I just couldn't bring myself to 'like' your post with his past BUT absolutely delighted he's landed with you :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

He ddn't come from his breeder we are his 3rd home that we know of. I do know his breeder and she is devastated to find out what has happened to him he was sold with a contact saying he was to be returned to her if they could no longer keep him. He was sold as a puppy to his original owner who then sold him on to the person who sold him to us

6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Poor little mite. Good job you took him on by the sounds of it.

Do you plan on still using him at stud?

7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ahhhhhhh ok - thanks for clarifying. I did think it sounded really odd (but having seen some things that some supposedly 'good breeders' do not beyond the realms of possibility) - poor button, no wonder he was so scared

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We are going to see how he goes at the moment he has only shown fear agression and has shown none at all since last monday. If when the time comes the bitch is showing no signs of a season yet my other males are showing no interest in her he is still fearful or showing agression I will not use him if however he continues to improve as he has over the last week then I would consider using him. If the bitch was to come into season tomorrow then no I would not use him as I don't think iit would help him.

At the end of the day temperament is paramount so I will not use him as a stud if I am at all in any doubt about his temperament I would like to show him but that again depends on him I would not do anything with him he is not happy with and if I was in any doubt he would be castrated and stay here as a pet he will not be past on again. My husband asked when he bit me if I really wanted to keep him or return him but I knew when I garbbed at him I was going to get bitten I also knew the alternative was he would be killed on the main road. The doctor at the accident unit actually told me if the dog had been any bigger I could have lost my finger but needless to say I wouldn't have picked a dog any bigger up by the scruff of the neck and if it happened again I would do the same thing again

Calvine, Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How very sad for the poor boy - one of many cast aside when the novelty wears off or something better comes along! :Punch

So glad you went to see him and rescued him from his cruel owner.

The bit about how he reacted when he had an accident indoors tugged at my heart :(

Sounds like he is settling in fast :)

Lucky boy!

Burrowzig and Calvine like this.
  10. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Oh bless his heart. That part about him wagging his tail and jumping on your lap when he realised he wasn't going to get hit for pooing made me teary!
    He is such a sweetie and I;m so glad he's now with you :)

Hope your hand is feeling better.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Glad his settled and is in a happy home.:)

Do you keep them all in the house.:)

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Of course they are in the house wouldn't have chihuahuas outside

13. danielled

danielled Guest

Well done for rescueing him. Keep us updated. He sounds like he's landed on his paws with you.

Calvine likes this.
  14. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Cracking name for a dog....... :p
    Glad you were able to get him out of a situation he was clearly not comfortable in.I'm sure he'll have very few accidents now :)

Calvine likes this.
  15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I didn't mean to offend, it's just the thought of so many dogs running a round, you must have fun with them.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I wouldn't be using him on a bitch of mine.

The fact that he resorted to using his teeth would be a worry for me.

I accept that he was stressed, but he shouldn't have bitten.

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

No offence taken lol

He was more than stressed he was terrified and he hs shown no sign of aggression since the biych is not ready to come into season yet so he hs time to prove himself both Dexter's breeder and the bitches breeder know what he has done and I am taking their advise. IF he shows any more signs of aggresion he will not be used as a stud. He has shown no aggression to anyone other than myself and at the end of the day it will be me and me alone who makes the decision on whether to use him on my bitch.

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Yes, it will be you who makes the decision.

19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

It never ceases to amaze me that people have a baby and then get rid of one tiny dog...or cat. He was probably peeing indoors at his previous home as since the baby was born he likely didn't get a walk. He's a cute guy; glad you took him with you.

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

At the end of the day you don't know the full story only the short version that I have put on here I am copletely confidnet that I am capable of making the rih=ght desicion about Dexter. As I am typing this he is sitting on my knee with his head resting on my arm he put himself there of his own free will. Is that the reaction of a dog that only a week ago was so scared of being that he bit me?

What my original post fails to say was tha he acttually went under a moving car and was trapped fortunately the car stopped and we managed to get him out using a brush to pursh him to the other side. The fear bite reaction was the result of being pocked and prodded and pushed to free him. I'm sorry but I don't know many dogs who would go through all that and then be grabbed by a vertual stranger by the scruff of the neck that wouldn't react the way he did

Aahlly, Calvine and Muttly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice