Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deworming, Feeding and Vaccinations- new owner worried!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nn89, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

Just a quick question, went to get some deworming products at the supermarket, and it said from 3 months onwards, both my kittens are 8/9 weeks old (can't remember which one!) and one of them currently has diaorrhea, which im putting down to a change in diet and stress of a new home, however want to rule out worms. I swear I read somewhere kittens should get dewormed when they go to a new home?! Can anyone clarify, when to deworm, tips on how to do it and also, reccomend any products?

As for the feeding, ive been using the pouches, always have dry food avaliable, and give one pouch in the morning, and one in the evening and have some white fish or half a pouch/dry food in the mid-afternoon. I came downstairs this morning to give breakfast, and Tabitha didn't seem interested in breakfast at all, I've been giving food in one bowl, would maybe giving two seperate bowls help her eat a bit more? She's been sniffing round but doesn't seem interested, she's got tons and tons of energy, I just want to make sure she's eating as much as florence!

Finally, vaccinations- they have the first round on friday and i'm really really worried, and debating whether to get them or not. I read a thread on here about someones kitten who died within hours of getting the vaccinations. Their appointment is at 10am, and I have to go to work at 1pm-9pm, and im worried about leaving them alone whilst they may be slightly ill, is it a good idea to maybe not go into work that day, how common is it for kittens to get reactions to vaccinations, and more importantly, I am going to keep them as indoor cats, however i'm SO worried about that article, is it worth getting vaccinations or not?!

Not really a quick question, but am concerned and need some tips! I'm new to all this kitten caring lark :blushing:

Thanks in advance:biggrin:

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

If you use Pancaur paste you can use that now. You can buy that from pet shop or the vet. I never use anything from the supermarket.

She will eat when she is hungry. I always leave food down for my cats and they go and help themselves when they like.

With vaccinations whether its a cat, dog or child theres always a risk as you dont know if they are allergic. This is really only a decision you can make. My cats are vaccinated and they are all fine

3. nn89

nn89 PetForums Junior

well I've moved the food into a more central area, where they are a lot, and they're both eating a lot more AND drinking, i've also seperated the food out into two bowls and tabitha is much more interested in food!

As for deworming, thanks for the reccomendation, is it something i can get at pets at home?

EDIT: Do i need to deflea aswell?

4. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

For kittens i use panacur which you can buy at pets at home or online and i use frontline spot on for fleas and that can be used on kittens over 9 weeks old and weighing more then 1kg

5. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Hi there,

To be honest I would not buy any of the stuff from the supermakert. You just end up buying stuff that does not work (it happened to me). It's better if you got yo the Vet and ask about flea product for your home as well. Generally I think stuff from the vet work. I spent £20 on de working and 3 month flea treatment from the vet.

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

With regard to vaccinations - the jab most likely to cause a reaction is FeLV, BUT if your cats are going to be indoor cats only, then they will not need the FelV vaccine as they won't be coming into contact with other cats and that is how FeLV is transmitted. They would however need the cat flu (herpes and calici) vaccine, and enteritis (Panleu) which is usually given as a combined jab. Both cat flu and enteritis could, potentially be carried in on shoes, hands etc and flu is airborne, so as a precaution it would be a good idea to have those two done.

The diarrhea can be due to stress of the move and change in food as you thought, so its worth sticking to what they were eating in their previous home for a while, and do any dietary changes slowly to avoid tummy upsets.

I agree with the others about the supermarket stuff for fleas and worms - give it a wide berth! I'd ask your vet for a wormer when you take them in on Friday (or you can order online much cheaper, from somehwere like vetuk Vet UK: Selling Hills Prescription Diet, Frontline Spot On, Royal Canin, Feliway, DAP, Drontal, Hills Science Plan, Seraquin, James Wellbeloved for less. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice