Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dewclaws

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nat1979, Jul 19, 2009.

1. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Hi All

Wanted to ask what people think about dewclaws on dogs (puppies) which breeds are best to have them off and why?

Also if you do have them taking off pups when do you take them off? and who does them? and how much does it cost?

#1 nat1979, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. Kian's dad

Kian's dad PetForums Junior

we have a Vizsla and the breeder removed them at 3 days old.
    I know that Weimaraners also have them removed. I heard that gun dog breeds usually have them removed.... but I could be wrong.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They have to be removed between 3-5 days of age. Only a qualified veterinary surgeon can perform the removal.

Cost depends on your vet.

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

whippets norammly have them removed because they sometimes can hurt them when running, Blaze has his still his wasnt taken off I just make sure they are kept short he hasnt cought any as of yet.

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Most running breeds have their dew claws removed. Some people take them of themselves but I always take mine to the vets to have them done. If they are to be removed they have to be done before they are 3 days old. 5 days is too old.

My vet gives them all a small dose of a painkiller first . He charges me £8 a pup or that was how much it was last year. I then get 15% knocked of my bill so I don't actually pay that much:D

Word of advise though make sure it is an experienced vet that removes them. On 2 occasions my vet has not been able to do mine and the locum has done them and in both litters I have had pups with dew claws that have grown back.

What surprised me is that my ex racing greyhound still has her dew claws I thought with her racing they would have been removed. When we used to go to lurcher racing with her I strapped them up with vet wrap to stop her catching them. My setter still has hers which is a pain getting to them through her feathers I normally end up cutting a lump of hair out when I cut her dew claws I daren't use my dremal on her because of her feathering.:eek:

6. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

the roughsget to keep theirs. although you can get a pup with the odd back dew claw which is removed.

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Siberian huskies keep theirs unless theyre on the hindlegs:)

8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Same with our chinese cresteds!:)

9. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

My dog had his removed when he had 'the chop' as they were causing him problems :)
    he's a lab X

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

MY jrt, springer, lab and cocker still have there's

11. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

What surprised me is that my ex racing greyhound still has her dew claws I thought with her racing they would have been removed
    You think they would i worked with racing greyhounds for 12 years and wondered why they dont take them of a birth

The amount of problems we had with the dogs and if they hurt them really bad then had to be removed and that meant knocking the dog out and cut and stich up

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i never knew that about Cresties:D

13. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

We have our boxers done as they seem to catch on everything especially when they doing the kangaroo hop!!!!
    . My mum has papillons and they are not done as the claw gets hidden in coat and doesnt tend to catch

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

it had never really crossed my mind about baileys dewclaws, and then a wee while ago i noticed he had tiny scars on both his front legs where they would have been. so i guess he had them removed as a pup. i thought it would have been on his vets record though but it doesnt seem to be?

15. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i had the dew claws taken off the lurcher litter by the local terrier man but i leave them on the terriers as they use them like thumbs

16. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Afraid that's not true, anyone can remove dewclaws;)

We remove them from the Basenjis when they are 3 days old, thankfully they only have front ones.

17. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I thought that as well as my vet wont do my dogs so i had to ring around to find someone that would do mine for me

18. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Yes a lot of vets will not remove dewclaws anymore unless there is a problem. The day will probably come when dewclaw removal is no longer allowed.

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yeah, ive just been having a read into it.

I would have thought that the removal of the dew claws was far harder than the docking of a tail. The few times i assisted it seemed quite a fiddly thing to get right, and i know if done incorrectly, that a small, deformed claw can grow back.

20. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I have never owned a docked breed so not sure to be honest. The dewclaw removal is pretty quick to be honest and they seem to get over it very quickly. Yes I have heard of claws growing back and the funny thing is it is usally people that have had it done by a vet:confused: Thankfully in all the time my mum has been doing ours none have ever grown back, so far!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice