UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken in yet another homeless oldie and his dew claws was right round in a hoop so thats been cut,but what I want to know is why do dogs have dew claws?:confused:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Kilo uses his a lot for gripping when eating bones etc. I also believe they help balance when turning on the run - when I watch him run and he turns tightly they make contact with the ground.

A dog I walk Kilo with has dewclaws that just seem to hang on his legs, yet Kilo's are very much attached and used.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,930 Posts
Dillon is one of the few breeds that have double dew claws on there back legs.

The Briard is a herding dog, and the double dew claws help them to climb over very rough ground and to grip on rocks when taking sheep into the mountains for summer grazing.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had decided they were obsolete and were used years ago to rip there kills apart,just shows how wrong you can be:eek:

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
i read something a while back that explained why

http://www.caninesports.com/DewClawExplanation.pdf
Really interesting article. Mine deffinately do use theres to grip when eating bones and chews and I assumed this is what they were for, that and hunting to help grip prey much like we use a thumb really, never occured to me they use them in running and moving in that way though.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
That's a really interesting article. I thought Bess's were only used to get caught in things and scratch me with. I can't see they ever touch the ground though, as they seem to clean.

But I'll keep an eye on her next time she runs. It will be interesting to see how she puts her foot down.
Kilo always has clods of earth and grass hanging off his after a run!

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I call Bertie's dew claws his wee opposable thumbs! He uses his fr gripping etc.
Especially Cresties, they're like little monkeys the way the grip things aren't they.

Hope your new foster is doing well suewhite, you angel you x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.