Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dew claws - leave or remove?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Maggie Tyler, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Maggie Tyler

Maggie Tyler PetForums Newbie

My 2 year old greyhound often yells in pain when her dew claws get caught. Should I have the vet remove them?
    Is it a big op?
    Many thanks
    Maggie

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure about a Greyhound but with a Briards it's like another finger and should not be removed, If your worried have a word with your vet or the Greyhound Club.

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure about Greyhounds but a Briard's dew claws are like having another finger and shouldn't be removed, have a word with your vet or with the Greyhound club.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I assume you're talking about front dew claws?

They should absolutely not be removed - in fact I doubt you'll find a vet to do it. Where I live it's actually illegal to remove a dog's front dew claws, not sure about the UK. Perhaps they need to be cut shorter if they're catching on things.

My dog had rear dew claws (not many dogs do) and I had them removed as they were very floppy and not attached to any tendons, and he was in real danger of ripping them off. That in itself was a significant operation, which he had done at the same time as a cruciate repair. He was much more bothered by the dew claw removal than by the titanium wedge inserted in his knee.

#4 McKenzie, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Is it front or rear dew claws?

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

the vet will remove dewclaws if they are causing a constant problem being ripped. I would get the vet to check them out to see why they are so painful as that is not normal, and see what they suggest.

MontyMaude, Jason25 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Assuming we're talking about FRONT dew claws.
    I would start as above, have the vet look at them, they should not be painful in general.
    It's possible the nails are too long, and a good trim up will solve the problem. If they are 'normal' personally I would not remove them prophylactically. It is amputation surgery and the recovery is painful and long. Potential for long term injury exists too without the dew claws there for stability and support. If you don't think dogs use their dew claws when they run watch some super slow mo videos of dogs coursing, you'll see how important those dew claws are.

If we're talking about REAR dew claws that are floppy and not attached to any bone, ligament or muscle, (do greyhounds even have those?) then yeah, lop those suckers off.

Blitz, Lurcherlad and SingingWhippet like this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

When is she catching them?

If it’s when out running and charging about you can buy special sheaths that protect them or you could apply some vet wrap bandage to hold them snuggled to the leg for exercising.

Burrowzig and Torin. like this.
  9. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

Years ago, one of my dogs had very floppy dew claws on all four legs which he was constantly damaging. He was a very active dog who loved diving into heavy cover and would often emerge with a bleeding, broken and evidently painful dew claw. When he was about three, we had all four claws amputated. He was clearly in a lot of pain for a couple of days after the op, but then he had another eleven years of charging around happily without any more accidents. Conclusion: it was worth putting him through surgery because it improved his life, but I would never do this lightly as it obviously was a painful operation.

MontyMaude and Blitz like this.
  10. Maggie Tyler

11. Maggie Tyler

Thank you everyone for helpful comments. I like the idea of covering them with a sheath. They are not a major problem when she runs I wide open spaces. She has caught them on the edge of patio however when she raced down the garden to chase a squirrel.
    (Now having the garden landscaped )
    Thanks again

12. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I had a big dog that constantly caught her dew claws, she was a clumsy oaf and couldn't step of a pavement/kurb stone without catching them and after the got infected and oozey for the umpteenth time and many courses of antibiotics we had them surgically removed, it is quite a big op and she was sore afterwards but the benefits were huge as she stopped catching and ripping them.

13. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

In the Uk front dew claws are still removed at 2-3 days old in some breeds, both mine had them removed and I am glad!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice