Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dew Claw

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bellarina, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bellarina

Bellarina PetForums Member

Toby has injured his dew claw somehow. He's on antibiotics & painkillers etc & the vet trimmed it. She did say that if it doesn't clear up it would have to be removed. Has anyone experienced this in non working dogs?

Toby hates the vets with a passion- even when they come to ours to deal with the other animals he won't go near them, so to have to leave him with them for any length of time would be so distressing for him. I was just wondering how likely it is that he might need it removing?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I usually ask my vet to remove them at the same time he spays my bitches.

They can be very troublesome - as you're finding out!!

When my dogs ever need any kind of surgery I insist on staying with them until they are out for the count and also insist on being there as they wake up.

Surely your vet would allow you to do the same. It would be a very minor op to remove dew claws.

3. colinsri

colinsri PetForums Newbie

Our vet wants to charge £180 to remove a dew claw...for same reason (she catches it)!!! is this the going rate?

4. Bellarina

Bellarina PetForums Member

If it gets to that point I will definitely be asking to stay with him then. I can't bare the thought of him being distressed. He's 5 now & fortunately he has never had a problem with them before. He has only been to the vets for his jabs so we have never left him there. I'll probably sit in the waiting room the whole time so he doesn't wake up on his own either!lol

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That sound expensive to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice