Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Devil worm :)

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by pogo, Jan 1, 2012.

1. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Apologies for the awful phone taken photos! :lol:

Anyhoos the new south florida kingsnake took a dislike to me tonight whilst checking on her and did quite an impressive little display! managed to tag me quite a few times :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Yeh our new coxi is certainly a girl with attitude!! :001_huh:

4. Island Girl

Island Girl PetForums Newbie

I'm off to look at possibly getting our first snake today!

Love snakes, have handled others with no problems so far but please do tell me .....................if a snake does bite you how much does it hurt, how easy it to release the snake from oneself and any other advice on striking snakes would be appreciated!

The local RSPCA to me have a large corn snake they found in an abandoned house and descrive him as 'grumpy' when asked for more info they said he strikes every time and very thick leather gloves are needed to handle him. I am fine to take on a challenge but not sure my 11 yr old daughter is!

Going to look at some young corn snakes and then a Cali King snake who is 4 yrs old and described as very friendly.

5. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

To be honest it doesn't really hurt when a corn bites, the babies are hardly detectable and the adults are uncomfortable, but wouldn't say it's painful. The kind of bite would depend on their motivation, for instance, when my hand smelt of snake food my snake simply mistook my hand for dinner so latched on and coiled around my wrist, I just had to open her mouth up carefully and ease her off. If a snake does latch on don't pull away suddenly as the teeth are backward facing, you'd run the risk of breaking the teeth and encouraging infection causing mouth rot.

A frightened snake however would retract from the bite quickly. I've got a very grumpy corn which has never bitten (but has threatened to) simply because I move slowly in the least threatening manner I can. I move my hand very very slowly towards him and stop moving as soon as he coils into the striking position, I wait for him to relax out of his defensive pose and turn to slither away before picking him up. Once I have him he's not likely to bite.

Generally speaking corn snakes are non-aggressive, but this would depend on the individuals past experiances and personality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice