Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Devastated

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by sassyforever09, Jun 4, 2019.

1. sassyforever09

sassyforever09 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm new here but needed to join just to vent my sadness.

My little kitty was found dead on the grass verge on the main road near my house two days ago. I'm devastated, he was only a baby and we'd only had him 9 months.

We live in a quiet cul-de-sac and he was always really good at staying nearby, never had any issues with him going out and he always came in when we called him. He liked to stay out for most of the night as he never wanted to come in when we called him before bed and just liked to sleep inside during the day. He would sometimes sleep underneath his favourite bush in our front garden (now that it's quite warm at night) and he'd always be there in the morning.

The other night we let him go out as he was waiting by the door, this was around 7pm and he usually stays out for quite a while as he loved the outdoors! Before we went to bed we opened the door to call him in, he came in and had some food but then wanted to go out again at around 11pm-ish. In the morning we got a knock on the door from one of the neighbours saying they think they can see him outside their window that looks onto the main road.

My hubby went to go and find him and there he was just laid on the grass by the side of the road. He looked peaceful and it looked as though he was asleep, no cuts or anything. His collar had been cut off and was next to him which I keep questioning why and find really strange. I can't stop thinking and questioning everything. I keep wondering why he's on the grass verge, did someone move him or was he hit and survived but then died a short time later whilst trying to get to safety. I feel absolutely awful and so guilty. I keep overthinking everything and regretting the fact that we let him out at night. He never went so far before. I think he's climbed on top of the fences on one of the neighbours houses and maybe fallen over. I'm just baffled at the fact he had no severe injuries other than a little bleed to the mouth. His eyes were shut so does that mean he didn't die instantly? What injuries would a cat sustain if he was hit by a car?

I know the chances are he was run over, but I keep thinking what if he wasn't? I'm in the emergency services and I regularly respond to jobs at high speeds and I keep thinking that if I saw a cat running into the road I know that I'd be able to stop. So why was he hit? I don't blame the driver but it's just playing on my mind not knowing what happened. I know nothing will bring him back now but I'm just in bits and so are my children. He was such a cute little kitty and I just wish I could rewind time and made the decision to keep him indoors as I'm just blaming myself and overthinking everything :(

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry for your loss

3. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I’m so sorry for your loss.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im so sorry to hear this. :(

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss

6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm so sorry for the loss of your lovely cat. x

7. Veronica Chapman

Veronica Chapman PetForums Member

Only just viewed your sad posting and felt your pain.
    We had our beloved Benji put to sleep a month ago as he was very ill but your loss was accidental. You must not blame yourselves, life can be taken away unfairly. Your little kitty was happy being outdoors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice