Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Devastated

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Me12345, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

And it would take quite a few days for a neighbour to even start thinking the cat might possibly be a stray . . . they wouldn't just scoop it up the first time they saw it and take it to be scanned.

Clairabella and Sacremist like this.
  2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I don't think they tried too hard or waited too long. :(

Clairabella and Soozi like this.
  3. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

There’s always the possibility that the OP did read the thread, but decided not to respond due to the nature of some of the responses. Not everyone is confrontational and will back off rather than argue their case, especially if they are upset over real life events.

4. Sacremist

What I also find odd is that this neighbour must have seen the cat around before. It does make you wonder if it’s been done out of spite.

Clairabella likes this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

OP is logged on atm - will be interesting to see if there is an update.

Soozi and Clairabella like this.
  6. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all your kind words and advice, the people who didn't accuse me of being a troll . Unfortunately it is true.Her full name was actually Tinkerbell, this is because I named her myself as a young child.Tinker turned out to suit her perfectly as she was always very mischievous-I admit I found out the vets name and snooped on her Facebook to see if she did know the neibours, she doesn't appear to.but she is VERY young for a vet.
    she must be brand newly qualified it seems like she acted too hastily because of inexperience.we're going to get a postmortem done to find out exactly what was happening with her.I reported the bastard neibour to the police. I don't even know if he's actually commited an offence but the girl I spoke to was as angry as me and was saying it could possibly be classed as theft or criminal damage.I want to know why the hell he told them she was a stray when he knew she wasn't. After the postmortem we're planning to bury our poor little cat in the garden next to her sister who died of mouth cancer a couple of years ago. Hopefully they're playing together in heaven now, running around like mad things like they used to

Emmasian, AmsMam, KoolK and 2 others like this.
  7. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

And sorry but this has absolutely knocked me for 6.To be honest my life is absolutely shit my mum has cancer I have money problems ( but I still managed to pay her vets bills by pawning all my jewelry and missing my car payments) I was attacked by some pshyco the police never caught a couple months back and Tinker was the only bit of joy I had in my day to day life, it was bad enough that she had health problems but to lose her in these circumstances wondering if she was frightened and if the neighbors hurt her and knowing he did it out of spite is devastating. And we have to live in this neibourhood around those horrible people. Tbh I can't even funtion I can't even answer my phone at the moment much less get anything done. If people don't believe it why don't they keep their opinions to themselves rather than making someone feel even worse

8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I really think you should approach the Vet direct surely you might have got the answers from her? Why use FB? Where will you take your cat for the PM? I really think that you should make an appointment with the Vet ASAP even if she is young she would be well aware of the protocol for any animal brought in by a stranger asking for it to be pts.

Clairabella likes this.
  9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I’m so so sorry to hear about this case, I can only imagine how utterly heartbreaking this must be. There is nothing like the bond you can have with a cat, especially one you have owned since you were a child. I know that so well. When you are young, you never think the cat will ever leave you and you throw yourself into loving and caring for them, they are like your baby and your sibling all in one! When the time comes that they are old, and then one day suddenly they are gone, your world collapses. I know that too well.

I also know what it’s like to be a carer for my mother, and the difficulties and worries that brings with it. Without your pride and joy, your cats, you would feel like life is at its darkest.

I know it will take a long time, but I hope that one day you will be able to open your heart to another cat who may need your love and care.

I too would get a post-mortem and if it seems the cat was not ill or injured at the time of its death, I would prosecute the neighbour. For what it’s worth, I never though you were a troll, I know what a cruel and unjust world we live in, and you have my deepest sympathy. Take care of yourself and those you love xxx

10. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

After the post morterm are you planning a cremation? Some places will let you go along to say goodbye, this will help give you closure.

I lost my boy three weeks tomorrow it still hurts and I couldn’t ever imagine having the time taken away for me to say goodbye.

So sad. No words I have will help I know that but do all you can to say goodbye x

KoolK likes this.
  11. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

We're going to bury her with her sister in the garden I think.
    I'm really sorry for your loss as well x

KoolK likes this.
  12. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Thank you, it’s still tough, have a little ceromony to say goodbye.

Hope you get answers from your vet but don’t let it consume you so much you don’t let yourself grieve x

13. Sacremist

I think you did the right thing informing the police. What did they say?

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I doubt the police would take it seriously or be even remotely interested. I believe in most areas they don't come out to a burglary now?

Clairabella and Soozi like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Me12345: It's an awful situation, but as your neighbour apparently is the person who took her to be pts, surely he/she should have paid the bill? If someone had mine euthanised, I would no way be footing the bill, I'm absolutely sure of that.

#75 Calvine, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Clairabella, Me12345, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  16. Sacremist

That’s true, but they may still be able to advise.

17. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I think OP said Tinker was on medication for health conditions. If the vets are trying to charge for the PTS, though, that is definitely out of order. I would hope, given the circumstances, they might make a goodwill gesture of cancelling any outstanding account balance or similar.

@Me12345 , I'm so sorry you lost your beloved oldie in this way. I too would suggest you try and arrange a meeting with the vet and find out exactly what was said and done and why - if the neighbour told them your cat was a stray, then they were obviously lying given that the same neighbour then told you exactly what they had done. I'd also have hoped if your cat was under regular care with them, someone there might have recognised her - although if it is a big and busy practice then that may be more difficult. Do try and be calm with them, hopefully they are just as upset about this as you are; no professional likes to be made to look bad.

I would also have hoped that, unless a cat was obviously suffering, there would be some policy of holding a 'stray' for a day or two before taking any further steps whenever possible. Whatever the reason for their actions, you deserve a proper explanation for your own peace of mind...

Me12345, KoolK and Sacremist like this.
  18. Sacremist

On the subject of recognising cats, one of the vet nurses at our local practice left to start working at the University of Liverpool’s Small Animal Teaching Hospital where I’ve taken several of my pets. During our first visit to the referral centre with Chino, when we returned to collect him, this nurse came in with the vet and said I knew it was you. The vet said, he recognised your cat. Chino is a Birman and so has the same markings as other Birmans, but George, the nurse, knew him. Of course, having said that, George worked at our local vets for the 8 years I’ve been taking Chino there and in the last few years we’ve been going every three months, so he knew him well.

Me12345, AmsMam and KoolK like this.
  19. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

The girl on the front desk was very interested and was telling us it could be criminal damage or theft and wrote loads of notes but I'm not that hopeful being as they didn't bother to find the man who tried to rape me despite having cctv dna and the car reg ffs

20. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

I feel like I need to do something about the neighbor though if the police won't no idea what but I know he did it for spite and I know he wouldn't have done it if there was a man living here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice