Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Devastated

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Me12345, Sep 12, 2018.

1. KoolK

KoolK ❤️ Snowy's Mommy ❤️

Thank you :)

Like I said in the post you just quoted ... We should be advising her and supporting her".

Clairabella likes this.
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

:)

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Can we keep this thread on track without the bickering please.
    This is an unusual situation and I think the best advice is for the OP to speak to the vet in charge or practice manager to find out what actually happened and why their cat was put to sleep.

AmsMam, Tigermoon, chillminx and 7 others like this.
  4. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I’m so sorry for your loss. If it were me, I would be having a very strong word with the vet who did this and asking them to justify why they put my cat to sleep. That’s not to say they weren’t justified. As others have said, something could have happened that meant your cat was in a bad way. Any other reason and I would be fuming and seeking justice. It’s not right that a vet should put an animal to sleep without trying to find the cat’s owners first. I wonder if the vet checked for a microchip.

I just feel so very bad for you, but lessons to be learned is always have your pet microchipped.

KoolK and Clairabella like this.
  5. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I agree with Ceiling kitty go directly to the vet and ask questions. Get their version of events as it sounds as though inappropriate action was taken.
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Tigermoon, Clairabella and KoolK like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Me12345 - it is very upsetting for you to lose your cat and particularly in such awful circumstances.

I agree with Ceiling Kitty, Soozi and others who have advised you to go the vet's and have a face-to-face discussion in private with the vet in question as to what happened to your cat. You are entitled to answers, and maybe knowing exactly what happened might help you a bit to find closure.

Thinking of you with sympathy.

RIP dear pusscat xx

Soozi, KoolK, Treaclesmum and 4 others like this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

I am shocked you have lost your cat in such awful and bizarre circumstances. I would hope if one of mine was hurt beyond help someone would take them to a vet. Please get the story as it will help you grieve the loss. It’s hard especially as you weren’t ready to say bye . x

I won’t comment on my thoughts if it comes down to a nasty human.

8. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

I wonder if this is actually true now because reading back the thread. The name is a bit odd. The circumstances are a bit odd also. Plus OP has now done a disappearing act so I feel a bit of a tool now actually!

But if it is true then it’s terrible thing to happen xx

9. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Don’t feel badly you obviously have a good heart and if the facts given by the OP are true then yes it is truly awful

Some of us more a little more cynical and have been around longer and have been burnt on quite a few occasions so when we hear a story that doesn’t quite add up it’s only natural to try and question and clarify a few things before making judgements, the accusation that a vet was in collusion with an evil neighbour is quite a serious allegation and I would like to believe that no vet would put an animal to sleep like that without there being a very serious reason for them doing so

Calvine, huckybuck, KoolK and 10 others like this.
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You're not a tool :). As @oliviarussian says, some of us are little more jaded than others.

And you're right, it is terrible if it's true x.

Clairabella, huckybuck, KoolK and 3 others like this.
  11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Well the OP hasn’t come back! :rolleyes: We don’t know if the poor cat was in a bad way or not but that imo would be the only reason the cat was pts on arrival at the surgery. Something we might never know.

Clairabella and huckybuck like this.
  12. Sacremist

I’m also usually one of the jaded ones and it has come with experience. I try to give the benefit of the doubt if something doesn’t quite add up. Some are more obviously trolls than others. I decided to give this the benefit of the doubt because I wasn’t too sure. Part of me hopes the OP is a troll because the thought of a vet putting a cat to sleep in this manner is horrendous if the cat still had some quality of life.

Unfortunately I was in the sad position of seeing a cat run over a few years back. I picked the cat up and took it too a vet, but nothing could be done. It was pts, so you could say I was like the neighbour and the vet like this vet. Difference being I wasn’t in my neighbourhood. However, I know for absolute fact the cat I took to the vet was suffering and could not be helped.

Clairabella, huckybuck, KoolK and 3 others like this.
  13. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Before we accuse of being a troll, can we take into account that the OP has said they're a law student so is probably starting back at university this week and may very well be mourning a beloved family pet. Not everyone is glued to the forum.

Sacremist likes this.
  14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Me12345: How long did the vet keep your cat before she was pts? Did he wait a few days to see if anyone rang about her? I have nightmares about something like this happening, all mine are chipped at the time of neutering. Sorry this happened to your poor old girl.

This happened to my neighbour's elderly sister: went away for about ten days, cat was chipped, cat disliked the cat sitter who came in once a day so hung around in a neighbour's garden rather than go home. Cat sitter knew it was OK as food was being eaten . . . neighbour said she thought it was a stray, so took it to R$PCA. They got no reply from phone (owner away) and no-one answered the door and by the time she got home, old cat had been PTS. Not sure why RSPCA would not have left a visiting card that the cat sitter could respond to but apparently they didn't.

Clairabella, Sacremist and Soozi like this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

That’s an absolute disgrace. No way should the RSPCA get away with that but they do. So sad.

Clairabella and Calvine like this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Owner was elderly, no mobile or email so not immediately contactable.

Clairabella and Soozi like this.
  17. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

But she was only away 10 days. That’s such a sad story. :(

18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I'm not so sure about this, TBH . . . unless you cat is very distinctive looking? It might also have been a different vet who saw her. Ok, I would recognise, say, my tabby boy or my ginger boy in a room full of cats the same colour, but I bet my vet wouldn't, even if he saw them the previous week. And you say they were given a story that the cat was ''a stray''. But I hope you get to speak to your vet and get the real story.

Clairabella, Soozi and Sacremist like this.
  19. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Granted but they logged on at 01.20 so a bit odd that they didn’t reply then

Calvine, Sacremist and Soozi like this.
  20. Sacremist

That’s disgusting; you’d think they would have the common sense to know that people go away on holiday and could be away for up to two weeks, so shouldn’t take any action until all efforts to find an owner have been exhausted.

All my cats are indoor, but back when I used to let them roam and we went on holiday and my sister used to come in to feed them, we would keep them indoors for the time we were away. My sister could only stay 30 minutes twice a day, so had one of my cats become sick, in all likelihood she would have missed it, because they may not have been inside when she visited.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice