Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Devastated

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Me12345, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

My neibour took my beloved 19 year old cat to the vet yesterday and claimed she was a stray (he knew she wasn't) and got her put down. Me and my mum raced straight over there as soon as we came home but they'd already given her the injection. She had hyperthyroid and high blood pressure but both were well controlled with medicine and she was enjoying her life.her vet had not brought up euthanasia as an option yet, she had months left in her at least.She was happy and perky when we left her in the morning and she had managed to climb over our 6 foot high fence out of the back garden. The neibour reckoned she was in a bad way when he found her 3 hours later and could hardly move . I'm sure he was either lying and he's been waiting for an opportunity or somebody had hit her in their car or poisoned her, more likely the latter since nothing was broken . Apparently she had fly eggs all over her which she didn't have in the morning, it rather sounds like she was lying there sick and the flys got on her that afternoon. She was apparently found on the driveway of this man's creepy next door neibour who used to lure her round there with rich food and shut her in the house. She accused us of not feeding her and after we told her 3 thousand times she was skinny because of the hyperthyroid and she was being treated for it she started dropping all these creepy hints that we should have her put down. She shut her in her house loads of times ( we saw her letting her out a few times and when she went missing she would always come from that direction. ) and every time she'd been there she'd be vomiting. We put chicken wire over our garden gates so she couldn't get out and put her in the house when we were out but the last week or so she'd figured out how to escape over the fence . she'd been to that woman's house and she'd had diarrea after, which was just starting to clear up.we were trying to decide what to do about her and this woman because she hated being kept indoors but then this happened. We let her out so we could clean up the poo on the floor and she didn't want to come back in so stupidly we left her out.I seriously think this woman has been spreading lies to the neibours that we don't look after her properly and they'd ganged up and planned it.maybe she poisoned her because the orhers were reluctant. There was one incident where she shut her In the house for over 24 hours and I'm sure that's what she was planning but I made sure I shouted and screamed in the street and made it clear I knew it was her so she must have changed her mind . I'm angry at the vets for believing the neighbors crap neglect story, they also knew she wasn't a stray as she'd just been in for a check up and they'd have recognized her.They could have washed her or at least called us so we could have been with her

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Was she chipped?

3. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

I
    No we shouldve had it done after the creep started making comments. So stupid

4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Yes, sadly in hindsight it is a little.

You say you are angry at the vet, but they would only have euthanised her if they genuinely thought that she was that ill.

She may have had a head injury from being hit by a car, so you wouldn't see anything broken.

Have you actually spoken to the vet?

5. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

6. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

Oh my days, this awful :,-(. So sorry for your loss xxx

Whompingwillow and KoolK like this.
  7. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Yes of course I spoke to the vet she said they didn't know if she'd been hit that they thought she was a stray and she wouldn't be rehomed because she had health problems. The bloke who bought her in looks a bit old and not in great health-maybe someone should cart him off to Switzerland

8. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou x

KoolK likes this.
  9. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

That's horrific. PTS by your own vet too? That must be so distressing. Did they contact you afterwards, or did you find out from the neighbour and contact them?

I'm really sorry for your loss.

Clairabella, Whompingwillow and KoolK like this.
  10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

They wouldn't have euthanised her just because they thought she couldn't be rehomed. They would need to ascertain whether she had an owner.

What did they say was wrong with her? If you think she was possibly poisoned could you ask for a post mortem?

spotty cats, chillminx and lorilu like this.
  11. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Thankyou xx
    No, they wouldn't have contacted us at all I don't think-the neighbor saw me standing near his drive calling her as he came home and told me he'd taken her there.we floored it to the vets and I rang on the way as well.She was still warm so it must have happened very shortly before we got therw

KoolK likes this.
  12. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Yeah, we're going to ask for one.They didn't say what was wrong with her apart from being underweight and the fly eggs that could have been washed off.They euthanized her within minutes of arriving there from the sound of it

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I don't understand why they wouldn't tell you, her owner, what was wrong? Did they give a reason for that?

spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  14. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I can't get my head around how a neighbour could do this and live with themselves, knowing it's your cat and not contacting you first. I wonder if you have some legal rights there. Though I think looking after yourself and your emotions is most important now.

I'm so very sad for you.

Whompingwillow and KoolK like this.
  15. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

16. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Nope-probably because they believed whatever crap the neibour said about us not feeding her or whatever it was they said.it was a very young vet-I don't know if she's a student or something but she was there for Tinkers check up a couple weeks ago and no mention was made of euthanasia then

17. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

I know-he's not a nice person, always complaining about petty things and he didn't like her loud miowing . I'm a law student so I'm going to ask my tutor if there's anything we could do . Thank you for your kind words xx

18. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

So the vet doesn't believe you are her owner? :confused:

19. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I am really sorry to hear your sad news.

Are you in the UK?

A vet would only euthanise that quickly if they thought the cat was suffering or in pain.

If the cat was ok - most vets would look after the cat for 24 hours or so to see if an owner came forward esp if it was taken in as a stray.

20. Me12345

Me12345 PetForums Newbie

Yes, we're in the uk-I think either they didn't bother examining her properly or she'd been poisoned.I don't know if it's worth doing a complaint? But even if there's nothing they could have done the least they could've done was phone us so we could've been with her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice