UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - im new on here - i found you all this morning after typing "guilt after putting dog to sleep" - last night i had my beautiful 13 year old golden retriever put to sleep. im devavstated and wracked with guilt that i did it too early . Spud had been on tramadol for 3 years for mast cell cancer and had very arthritic back legs and an underactive thyroid. he hadnt been going for proper walks for a good few months - i have 5 other dogs, spud was my first - every night he would come in after dinner and bark and pant as if he were unsettled - and he would come and put his head on my lap and lick me. he had become bowel incontinent, but his mind was so young, and i kept looking at hom and thinking give me a sign you are ready to go - but he didnt, and last night after he was incontinent i called the vet and they came round. it was tricky getting the iv catheter in his leg - he was very placid so we didnt sedate him first because the vet said it would cause vomiting and i didnt want that. it was very quick, he was just gone, he did a little panic breath - i feel so guilty, so awful, he probably would have gone on for a while longer, his mind so full of life - but was finding it difficult to get up and seemed unsettled a lot x x x x xthank you for listening, x

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm sorry you had to get Spud put to sleep, I know it's hard but he must have had a good life, you've clearly cared for him through his cancer treatment and kept him as comfortable as possible. I know what you mean with 'the look' and him being young on the inside, but what you done was the kindest thing for him. You could have left it a while longer but while he could go peacefully it's less stressful for Spud and yourself.
Last week I also posted because I felt guilty over getting my dog Tia put to sleep due to hip dysplacia, we had put it off for just over a year but she had no quality of life left and went rapidly downhill in the space of a week. I felt guilty because is the summer I got two puppies. I was taking Tia to the vet and then going to get the two of them ... I felt horrible for it.
I got a lot of support from the people on here so you've came to the right place :)

G

·
No guilt deserved. To have not done that horrendous act of love, he would have suffered more with every day. I have done it, and may have to again, this year. Hugs. My vet is brilliant, my dogs die mid chew of roast chicken. Literally.

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, and very sorry to hear about your dog.

You clearly loved Spud very much, which you showed by putting aside your own personal feelings in order to do the best thing you could for him. It's never an easy decision to make, and if you and the vet felt that it was the right thing to do, then I'm sure it was. Spud's pain and frustration at not being able to do the things he wanted to do are over now, and I'm sure he'd thank you if he could.

There are many people on this forum who have been in a similar situation, and you may find it helps to read through some of the threads in the "Rainbow Bridge" section (although be warned, it's emotional reading!)

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
You have done the right thing by Spud, this is the one time we can give our beloved pets the 'rest' they need. He sounds like he has been a good and faithful companion to you for many, many years. You have given him a release when it was best for him, you will remember the good times with him. It is hard and the missing him will never go away but you will remember him with fondness and also remember him as not being too ill to say goodbye. Goldens have a very high pain threshold so you have done right by him. I still miss my golden boy who I lost nearly 11 years ago, the big hurt does go away BUT there will always be that little cavity in your heart that will never be filled.

Chin up, Spud is running free at the 'bridge' now. Xxxxx

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi Rachel
I have just posted about my dog Buster who is spending his last day with us today-have a look at my post-and the replies -it may help.
I know exactly where you are coming from-and so many members on here do too
It s so easy for us to say -perhaps they could have gone on another day -they are still eating etc etc
But we have to look at their quality of life -like Spud,Buster hasnt been on a proper walk for a good while-his legs are very stiff and he finds it difficult to get up or get comfy lying down.When he tries to have a poo his legs give way and he falls into it.He had started to wee on his bed .too

We only made the decision yesterday and I know its the right one
You could have let Spud carry on as I could with Buster -but I know I would be doing it for my sake
I was terrified that Buster would suddenlygo downhill and be in awful pain and need to be taken to the Emergency vets and that wasnt what I wanted for him
Spud knew that you love him and that what you did was to set him free from his pain
The guilt you are feeling is terrible and my heart goes out to you.
I felt the same guilt when we lost Lulu-if you read my post you will see why

Spud left surrounded by love as my Buster will do tomorrow.

I joined P F after losing Lulu and the support I received on here helped me so much
We are all here for you.

Sending you a big hug
Maureen

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum, dear Rachel.

So sorry to hear about your dog. Having a beloved pet put to sleep is the most difficult decision any pet owner ever has to make.
The way I see it, the poor thing was suffering and it would only have got worse, and there was a loss of dignity....
In such cases, there comes a point where it is the greater act of love to set them free.

Animals have the full seven senses and they (dogs and cats especially) are 'aware' on the psychic level.
I couldn't help but notice that Spud was placid and offered no resistance to the vet which could be construed as an indication that he was accepting of the situation and ready to go....

Animals have souls just as we do. He is gone from your physical life but very much alive on the spiritual side and when your 'time' comes Spud and all your other loved ones - human and animal - (who have passed over) will be there to greet you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you to everyone on here - its a big help - im in my pyjamas - i keep crying - i know it will be ok - i have 5 other dogs, they dont seem to know - he was such a lovely boy - so kind - i cant believe hes gone - x

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum although in such sad circumstances. I hope you will find some comfort from our words and from being a member. You did what was best, it definitely was the kindest and most selfless thing you could have done

RIP Spud, Running free over the Bridge x

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feel so much for u, its an awful descision and I think reading this u made the right one. He had his dignity, Im sure dogs get distressed by losing control as do humans Ive nursed. You,ve given him peace, and you will find yours eventually and think of him with gratitude and love. I have tears in my eyes thinking of my lovely Corgi who had to be PTS after we had her for 4 yrs, she was previously a breeding bitch. She had the best love and care in the time she was with us and gave us loads of happy memories. Sending you and your family hugs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss... :(

It's only natural to feel some degree of guilt, but please remember that quality of life is as precious as life itself. You did your best, caring for Spud.
One day the good memories you have will be at the forefront of your mind, rather than the guilt.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hi there - im new on here - i found you all this morning after typing "guilt after putting dog to sleep" - last night i had my beautiful 13 year old golden retriever put to sleep. im devavstated and wracked with guilt that i did it too early . Spud had been on tramadol for 3 years for mast cell cancer and had very arthritic back legs and an underactive thyroid. he hadnt been going for proper walks for a good few months - i have 5 other dogs, spud was my first - every night he would come in after dinner and bark and pant as if he were unsettled - and he would come and put his head on my lap and lick me. he had become bowel incontinent, but his mind was so young, and i kept looking at hom and thinking give me a sign you are ready to go - but he didnt, and last night after he was incontinent i called the vet and they came round. it was tricky getting the iv catheter in his leg - he was very placid so we didnt sedate him first because the vet said it would cause vomiting and i didnt want that. it was very quick, he was just gone, he did a little panic breath - i feel so guilty, so awful, he probably would have gone on for a while longer, his mind so full of life - but was finding it difficult to get up and seemed unsettled a lot x x x x xthank you for listening, x
Hi and welcome to the forum, so sorry it's on such sad terms.

There's a very true saying when we talk about euthanizing our pets; better a day early than a day too late.

It sounds as though Spud had a lot of issues that were affecting his quality of life physically, even if he was still very much present in mind. The Border Collie I grew up with was exactly the same, her mind was fine but her body was failing her and eventually she became so miserable that it was kindest to set her free. I have no doubt that if her mind could have been put into another body she would have gone on for many more years. But we do have to bear in mind their physical condition as well, especially when animals are experts at hiding their pain. Spud enjoyed 13 years of happiness and love with you and that is an amazing achievement in itself. I think it's normal to have guilt and doubts but please be assured that you did a very selfless thing and put Spud's well-being before yourself. Time doesn't heal, but it does get easier x

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi rachelf,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you lost your favorite Spud. I feel with you, because my German Shepherd got into the same fate. She got spinal membrane ossification.

Her legs increasingly paralyzed, he couldn't walk at all. The vet said its illness cannot be cured. We didn't want her to continue to struggle and anesthetized.

She was very attached to us because we got her from a shelter. We now have a Labrador, and she gives us a lot of pleasure. Life goes on, but we often remember our German Shepherd.

Accept my friendly hugs,

joyous growler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.