Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Devastated about rehoming my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Brodiesmum, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Brodiesmum

Brodiesmum PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I got my puppy not long after losing my baby daughter. He became my absolute best friend and got me through the darkest time of my life. I unexpectedly got pregnant again, and have been trying so hard since the baby has been born to manage both of them, but I just can’t cope anymore. He’s so wild and boisterous and it simply isn’t safe to keep him and the baby in the same house, she’s 4 months old now and in a few months will be crawling - at the moment we are confined to the bedroom which is obviously no way to live, for us or more so for my beautiful dog, who I feel just isn’t getting the life he deserves now.

My husband and I made the decision to rehome him and have met a lovely couple who want to adopt him. I feel confident that they are going to give him a loving future, but now the reality that he is leaving soon has sunk in I am in inconsolable. Will it get easier? I never thought I would end up in this position so please don’t judge me for giving up on him. I feel like the selfish thing to do is to keep him because nobody is gaining anything from him staying, apart from me because I’ll miss him so terribly.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do what is best for your dog.

Are you able to walk him right now or spend quality time with him?

If not, you really should give him the best chance in life and, if that means letting him go, that is what you should do.

Sarah H, Nettles, kimthecat and 2 others like this.
  3. Brodiesmum

He is walked every day but in terms of quality time he’s getting hardly any. My husband has just got a new job working 12 hour shifts so I’m looking after the baby non stop myself and he tries to jump all over her when I try and sit with him.

It’s the best thing for him, I just feel absolutely heartbroken.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Circumstances change and sometimes you have to rehome a much loved pet. It is painful but its the best thing to do.

rona likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Assuming you have looked at walkers, more training with a professional and even the odd day with a sitter as a way of working around your problems.
    Having looked at all alternatives, you will be heartbroken, but your heart also knows that this is best for your best mate.

You are so brave to even consider this..........

#5 rona, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    kimthecat likes this.
  6. Brodiesmum

I already have a walker. I paid a supposed “dog whisperer / trainer” £70 to come and do a consultation when I was pregnant and he basically said he’s a high energy dog and all his problems are energy related so he’d need several hours of walking a day to calm down. Who has several hours? Not me.... and certainly not when I go back to work. Also dog sitting I can’t really afford as I’m already going to be struggling with nursery fees when I go back to work. I’ve thought of every option :’(

Thanks, it doesn’t feel brave, it just feels unfair that it has had to come to this, when lots of people have dogs and babies. But lots of people don’t have a dog like mine I guess, he’s bonkers - one of a kind!

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Life can be very unfair. :(
    Its not always easy to rehome dogs so if its any consolation at least you have found the right home for him .

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The last thing a high energy dog needs is hours of walking. Yes, walk/run an hour or two. The dog can them be far more tired out by brain training - fetching named objects, finding things hidden around the house or garden, trick training. Those things can turn a dog from a pest into a useful assistant.

Katalyst, Lurcherlad, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I thought you may have done.
    That's the third Trainer/behaviourist that I know of that's been as useful as a lump of poo. One I know had all singing all dancing qualifications too.

The only other suggestion I can put forward is https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/
    Other than that, if you are convinced that these people who are offering a home are right for your dog, don't let them slip away

10. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Sounds like he's bored and not getting any 1-2-1 time. Whilst I appreciate this is a difficult decision, it does annoy me to read it...sorry.

kirksandallchins and Chatcat like this.
  11. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

How old is the puppy? Have you done any training with him such as sit, down and settle? Several months must have passed, and I am trying to understand why you don't have any control over him. It seems a shame as this little chap 'got you through your darkest days' to give him up now. All families go through change, but we all just adapt.

NFC slave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice