Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Detoxing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CheekoAndCo, Jul 8, 2009.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Maybe it's too early and I'm just trying to look for things but Cheeko's not had Bakers for 4 days and I've noticed a few things. One thing is his eyes seem to be 'weeping' alot. I mean the brown way poodles eyes go like tear stains. Last time this happened was when we changed his food to better food years ago and it got really bad but when he got clipped he didn't get any tear staining. Another thing he hasn't stole anything then went under the bed and started being agressive. He's been stealing stuff but dropping it at the kitchen door and goes away and leaves it so we get it off him no problem. Today at the park he was crazy with energy. He was running around alot longer and running faster. He was running around with a puppy aswell. Normaly he just watches but today he was joining in. Would I really be seeing changes so soon or is it just coincidence?

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

hmm..

i have no idea...ill show this link to poochimama. she's a poodle breeder so she might advise you - otherwise hopefully someone else will help.

3. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

lighter dogs do tend to get tear staining ..there are products you can buy to help with this ..some dogs also get irritated eyes in a way like we do with hayfever etc. keep bathing the eye stains as long as cheekos eyes dont look dry or inflamed or overly watery id not be too concerned . My white girl lily tends to have tear stains grrr but when trimmed looks fine again
    I have to say Bakers isnt a very good food and especially not good for skin conditions so anythings possible hun as they say u are what u eat so maybe better food is giving him a better energy level
    what food have you changed cheeko to hun?

4. CheekoAndCo

He's always had tear staining but it's asif it's all coming out his system. It's calmed down a bit today but still having to wipe his eyes every so often. He does have problems with his eyes but it's kept at bay with steroids. I've changed him to James Wellbeloved. He's been running around crazy tonight again with his toys. Trying to get him to calm down a bit incase he hurts his neck again! He loves the new food though eats it right away and doesn't leave a drop. At midnight last night he was wanting to play. He ended up in his toybox crying and digging away and out he comes with a rubber chicken that I bought him a few weeks ago and never bothered with it until last night!

5. poochimama

how long has he been on steroids ? my lily the white dog was attacked and on steriods for about 6 months and they had to take her off as it was affecting her eyes she got these little marks on her eyes all i can describe is like oil on water if u get me . but her tear stains got more frequent since she went on the steriods now i think about it
    james well beloved is a top dog food it will do cheeko good sounds like hes certainly improving lol:)

6. CheekoAndCo

He's been on them for a year or 2 now. It's more like summer allergies he gets. I can't remember the dose he gets but we try give him the whole tablet once a week and half a day the other 6 days to try keep everything ok. Once he's been on the food a few weeks it would be good to try keep him on the low dose all the time if it helps his problems. We got told by the vet to just increase and decrease it depending on how he is. He has put alot of weight on since being on them aswell plus I don't think the bakers helped. Not even the 'weight control' one. He wasn't keen on the James Wellbeloved treats to begin with but he likes them now. I gave him one at the park yesterday and he was running around in circles with it in his mouth. Then I found sausages I bought awhile ago in the glove box so he was doing the same with one of them :eek:ut:

7. poochimama

ahhh lily put on loads of weight with the steriods we was always having to cut food down with her bless her. lmao sounds like cheeko is getting a new lease of life or just plain potty :eek:ut: lol

8. CheekoAndCo

He's always been potty but he's worse just now! Took him to the park to tire him out today with mum and dad. We walked around for ages, up and down hills and by the end of it the 3 of us were close to collapsing but Cheeko was like 'Come on!'. About half an hour ago he was standing at the door so I thought he needed the toilet so I take the baby gate down and he goes running out with his ball and runs around the garden asif he's not had any exercise for weeks. Now he's up on my bed rubbing his face after having his food. At the park mum said she think's he looks asif he's lost weight already. Maybe he was bloated or something? He does look narrower at his waist.

He got his certificate through today for winning Pet Idol and a copy of the picture. I look awful in it right enough :p

9. poochimama

awww u must be so proud!!!!! come on we want to see the pic !!!!!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice