Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deterrent Advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lucyxfx, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lucyxfx

Lucyxfx PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Hoping for some help or advice.

I am the owner of a shy small cat who stays close to home and when she goes outside only visits a few gardens exterior to ours. My cat's also a female and is very territorial.

Over the past few months, we've had 2 much larger male cats coming into our garden and attacking my cat. Due to their size, my cat is generally intimidated but still wants to protect her territory. She loves to be outside but due to the frequency of the cat's visiting our garden almost once/twice a day, we're obviously facing a difficult dilemma.

We previously owned another cat in a near similar circumstance; the same cat's had attacked her, which caused intensive damage to her and we paid thousands for her surgery.

Tonight my cat was attacked again and I ran out to the garden to help her and when she came inside her breathing wasn't quite right.

I'm hoping to find some kind of deterrent to protect my cat. A lot of the deterrents on the online market deter cat's as a collective and obviously aren't a great method for a cat owner. Therefore, I was hoping someone would be able to provide advice or products to deter the other cats i.e. cameras, sensors etc - or has anyone else been in a similar situation and what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance.

Soozi likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t see how you can deter interlopers without the device affecting your own cat.

I would cat proof your garden to prevent others coming in and yours getting out.

Or build a catio (although it would be stressful for your cat if interlopers can get close.

Soozi, chillminx, buffie and 2 others like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear this . Your poor cat. You could try to scare them off but I expect they would wait until you have gone and then come back .
    As Lurcherlad said , perhaps you could cat proof your garden to stop them getting in.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Soozi, buffie and spotty cats like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The best deterrent I have found is cat proofing my garden (as others have suggested). I actually cat proofed the garden to keep my two female cats in, but a big bonus has been keeping neighbours' cats out.

Cat-proofing the garden has had the very positive effect of enlarging my cats' core territory - so they have a large outdoor area where they feel safe. My adopted boys, who came to me as rescued outdoor cats are allowed out of the garden (via microchipped cat flaps on the gates) but interestingly they now prefer to spend most of their time in the garden. Suits me! :)

Lurcherlad, lorilu and Soozi like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I came home from the grocery store this morning to find a big pile of cat poop in the middle of my walk way. I never see this cat. He just comes and marks himself all over with spray and poop. It's disgusting and infuriating. I have to spray white vinegar all over my outside premises, that keeps him away but if I let it slide for a few days (which I did this week because of other major life disruption stuff) he comes back.

He drops fleas and eggs too. I had to treat my cats this summer for the first time in almost 10 years, the only other times I have had to treat for fleas was twice when I have brought in flea ridden rescues, and that was preventative (I started treating before I brought the cats in).

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice