Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Detergent allergy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rhia, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

So I mentioned a week or so ago about Margot itching her belly, well it seemed to ease. It's now come back worse and I've noticed a little rash under her armpit tonight, she seems itchy all over. No signs of fleas at all, I've checked about 20 times!! She finished her season about a month ago.
    The only thing different is my mum took an old blanket from my garden the other week and washed it, she said she had to wash it 3 times to get the smell out of it, I think Margot had peed on it at some point and I'd thrown it outside.
    Anyway Margot has been cuddling up on it a lot, I have even put it in her crate the last few nights and rhe itching has been worse todsy Could she be allergic to the detergent?
    I'm going to take her to the vets tomorrow but just seeing if anyone had any ideas.

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes she certainly could be allergic to it if she's used to a different one. If she's never had a reaction like that before, and the only change is that piece of bedding being washed, then it would be top of my list of possibilities.

DaisyBluebell, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

For future reference if there's something else really stinky, biological washing powder where you're using about half the guideline amount at a low temperature (more than 40 and the enzymes are denatured) having first had a long soak is much more effective. Basically the enzymes (what makes it "bio") are ones which are great at breaking down things like urine and sweat - it's what vets and rescues use for this exact reason. Long with much less of the stuff (so the pre-soak etc.) is just as if not more effective than lots of high-quantity shorter time goes (so the repeat washes), with the added bonus that rinsing fully is much easier because of the ratio of washing powder vs water.

But yeah I agree that that's most likely the cause, especially as with the repeat washes there's going to be a low of detergent residue whichever way you look at it.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice