Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Destructive chewing, peeing in my bed and general bad behavior

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Furrgie, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Furrgie

Furrgie PetForums Newbie

I have a rescue pup. She's almost a year now and she's been with us for most of that time.
    I have trained a couple puppies in my life but she is proving to be a challenge.
    Not sure of her breed, she's a street rescue... she's small, 6kg and about a year old.

Lucy Liu chews everything. We have small apartment and it is puppy proof as possible but if she is alone for even a second she finds something she isn't supposed to have and chews it. I can't go to the bathroom, cook food, have a cigarette... without her finding something to destroy. She is crate trained so going to work isn't a problem.

It seems when she's feeling very annoyed that no one is paying attention to her she will pee on the bed. This happens about once a month. We live in an apartment on the 14th floor so she is allowed to pee on a pee pad sometimes. Normally she is very good at using it a few times a week.

I am sure she knows she is being naughty but I am not sure how to get this behavior to stop. I am considering maybe a training collar, but I am looking for other solutions first.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Please reconsider a training collar - they are not kind and I'm not even sure how you'd use one with your problems.

Regarding the toileting, the problem is with the pee pads. They're soft, and not dissimilar to your bed, at least in her eyes. She's allowed to pee on one soft thing inside the house, why isn't she allowed to pee on the other? I realise that being on the 14th floor is a bit of a problem, but at her age she should only need to go out a couple of times a day so if it were me I'd pick up the pee pads and train her to just go outdoors. My dogs pee 4 times a day - when they first get up (morning walk), lunchtime, dinner time, and before bed - that's not an excessive number of times to take her outside. If you really can't do that then look at a different way for her to pee inside that isn't like your bed, such as a litter box with turf.

Regarding the destroying, what exactly is she finding to destroy? If she's only doing it when you're not in the room then put her in her crate or get a puppy pen for when you can't watch her, just like you would with a little puppy. It's possible that she's going through the second teething stage when the teeth settle in the mouth, so make sure she has lots of things that she is allowed to chew.

Lastly, she doesn't know she's being naughty and she's not doing it to be spiteful. Any reaction you're seeing from her is because she can sense you're angry. She's just hitting the teenage stage when they like to push the boundaries, so stay calm and consistent and she'll get through.

Problems solved! No need for a training collar!

3. Furrgie

Furrgie PetForums Newbie

She's pretty small, she likes to go out about 6 times a day. I take her out about six times already, when I get up, mid-morning, lunch, afternoon, dinner, bedtime. But sometimes if I sleep in alittle later (8ish) she then sometimes pees on the pad. Also if the weather is really bad. But I could try to take the pad out and see if that helps.

She destroys anything, the wall, the rug, shoes, pens, paper, plants, phone chargers... She has a crazy amount of things she's allowed to chew on. She's got many toys and food puzzles, and safe bones to chew on. She loves her toys and when we are in the room she only chews the things she's allowed to chew. It's as soon as she isn't being watched or getting attention that she goes to something she knows isn't allowed. If she can pick it up, she'll try to eat it. She had a puppy pen. She ate her way through some parts so it was too dangerous to keep her in and also she can jump over it now. She is very athletic and determined. She's a handful.
    She is crated when we leave the apartment but I try to save the crate just for when we go to work, it helps us keep her on a schedule which helps keep her calmer, she has some mild anxiety issues.

My impression of the problem is that it is attention-seeking behavior, maybe like you said she's going through a teenage stage. But I am not sure of what to do about it.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

With regards to the chewing (indeed, the peeing - see my next point), is it possible she’s bored? Toys are one thing, but dogs do need to get out and they do need stimulation. How much exercise does she get? What sort of stimulation does she get, beyond walking? Do you play with her at all? You say she pees in the bed when she’s not getting any attention. Could it be that if she is feeling bored she’s discovered that she gets a reaction by peeing on your bed? The answer is: don’t react, as hard as it may be, just quietly remove her from the bed, clean it up, etc. Personally, I’d make sure she doesn’t have access to the bedroom and that would resolve that specific problem, though it doesn’t address the causal factor. She doesn’t know she’s being naughty, by the way, she’s doing this stuff for some reason; the key is to work out why and address that.

Ref the training collar, I’ll re-emphasise what has been said: please don’t even consider it. They are cruel and unnecessary. Additionally, while it might (possibly) stop her doing whatever it is, it will not address the cause of the problem; it may very well make her fearful and anxious (as it would me if I suddenly started getting electric shocks for no obvious reason!)

Burrowzig, Bugsys grandma and JoanneF like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Dogs really don't think in terms of naughty or spiteful - only what is available or not available. You left out a paper, she wants to play with it therefore that is a toy for her.

So two things come to mind - first is management. If she can't have it, make sure she can't reach it. Bonus - your house will be super-tidy.

Second, what mental stimulation does she get? If you tire her mentally (training, tricks, scenting) she is less likely to go self employed and get into things she isn't supposed to have.

6. Furrgie

Furrgie PetForums Newbie

I think boredom could be part of the problem. We go on lots of walks- but she only gets off-leash time about once a week for a couple of hours. It is hard to get to a park from my apartment... and I do not live in a dog-friendly country... I'm in China. I play with her a lot we love chase and tug-a-war and food puzzles and training time.
    I don't typically react when she's gotten into something she isn't supposed to have. Especially if I don't see her do it- like bed-peeing I usually find later when I go to bed. Obviously nothing I do at that point is going to help.

Unfortunately I can't block off access to the bed, I have a studio so everything but the bathroom is accessible. I try to make sure she doesn't go on the bed unless it is bedtime but just last week she peed in the bed while I was asleep but my husband was still up.

What would you suggest to keep her occupied in the house?
    We already have food puzzles, she loves them, toys, and we play alot but she is pretty smart, I think maybe she'd enjoy some scent work. We get to the park about once a week or so It is hard to find safe places to walk in Beijing, I have a couple options but they vary in how safe they are. Plus there's always trash around and Lucy Liu will eat anything that she can fit in her mouth- Rocks, poop, plastic, foods, sticks, bones, etc... gotta watch her closely. She's a tiny little clown.

btw, I know she isn't trying to be naughty I was just voicing my feelings on the matter. She really is getting a bit exhausting. I love her incredibly deeply. Please do not worry about that.

7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

It sounds like you’re doing quite a bit to keep her stimulated, so I’m less convinced now that it’s boredom. It could be she just doesn’t know not to use the bed. A couple of suggestions:

First, can you fence off part of the apartment for her (like a pen) so she cannot get to stuff she should not and cannot get onto your bed. Like a kid’s play pen?
    Secondly, you could try to train her simply not to go on the bed at all (I’m personally not a big fan of letting dogs on humans’ beds, for many reasons, but each to their own, of course) - at least then you won’t end up getting into a wet bed! I’m not sure how successful it will be, but it may be worth a try. It would set a boundary for your dig (never a bad thing) and while not addressing the root of the problem, would certainly end the bed peeing.

8. Furrgie

Furrgie PetForums Newbie

Yes I think she has lost bed privileges. She peed again on the bed, which means it is happening more often now. This time I had taken her out for our before bed stroll and my husband was in bed when we got back so she curled up next to him.
    When I came in less than a half hour later there was pee on the bed! And she had just been outside. I quietly cleaned up the mess as I usually do. But this is ridiculous.

I am going to try to teach her she isn't allowed on the bed anymore.

9. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

It could be a battle (some histrionics and all that) as she's obviously got used to it, but my advice would be to persevere. Just quietly move her off the bed each time she gets on (if you associate it with a command, like 'off' it may make life easier in the future). Don't make a drama out of it and she should get the message eventually. I'm actually starting to wonder if it might be nervious peeing - but hard to measure that, really and Lord knows what might be setting her off.
    From the sounds of it, she'll not be stressed by being far from you - shejust won't be on your bed!
    Good luck with it.

10. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

I should also have said: when she gets off the bed, you could reward her (praise, treat, toy, whatever).

11. Lucas Green

Lucas Green PetForums Newbie

Well, let's talk about destructive chewing first. [A big NO for training collar from my side]

Either she is doing it because of boredom or she isn't getting enough exercises. So, whenever you go out, try to walk/run/play her as much as you can so she burns most of her energy. While at the home, get her a puppy pen along with a variety of tough toys, bones, treats, etc. Moreover, puppy-proof your house because if she chews something important, that isn't her mistake. You must know that dogs use their mouth to sense different things just like we humans use our hands.

For peeing problem, try to train her on something different. Try to train her pee in a bowl, that would be better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice