Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Destructive Behaviour At Home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by eshookry, Feb 8, 2008.

1. eshookry

eshookry PetForums Newbie

My speagle is about a year old and we had adopted him from a shelter when he was 10 months. The background that was given to us was that a family had bought him and figured that he was not fitting in with a family of 4 young kids. He had also been left in a garage sometimes all day and was not really given a lot of attention.

Anyhow, since we brought him in to our family, he has been proven to be very loving and active (cocker spaniel and beagle mix).

Tito (the dog) first started whining when we left him home and went to work, but that has died down as he is in a routine whereby he is in doggy daycare twice a week and at home 3 days a week, and on weekends he is with us to see the family and uncle Beco (my parents dog).

He was a good for a while but recently has started misbehaving at home. He is tipping the rubbish bin and eating anything edible, he has destroyed a remote control, and has ripped a jacket of mine.

I am baffled as to why he would be so destructive when left at home. He has many toys and even the simplest of things such as empty plastic bottles that make lots of noise, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can manage or change this behaviour???

2. garryd

garryd Guest

My opinion is hes not mentally tired ! you walk him for an hour and half a day and he wont do half those things your talking about;)
    Try it i bet i am right ! that dog needs longer walks !

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I agree longer walks and get him some toys/chews to keep him ocupied.
    If he's whining when he's left alone then try leaving the t.v or radio on for him.

4. garryd

garryd Guest

Yeah those hard toys has worked for my dogs,but my mum must have bought £40 worth of them toys and her dogs didnt touch them :(

5. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I give mine pork chews and bones, admitted they dont last very long but they help stop them from getting bored. You can put stuff inside them kongs too which is good.

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Kongs are great,have you thought about a crate/cage to keep him confined while you are out.

Some dogs are destructive when left,as a child we had a cross breed and he was extremely destructive,you could walk him miles,it made no difference,he ripped down curtains ate window frames,helped himself to the contents of the fridge,trashed the cupboards,ate the seatbelts in the car,you name it he did it.......

7. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Blimey, I bet he never ate his dinner!.......:D

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Your right lol
    Because he was a stray for so long,he would never eat food put down for him,he had to think he was stealing it.

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

its not bad behavour he sounds like his bored
    give him a kong and stuff it with sticky food that will help to keep him busy and long walks as well.
    or while your out you could crate him with the kong then he will not beable to chew.
    and it will be his own space then.

10. garryd

garryd Guest

The only thing i know ladys is that when i dont walk any of my dogs ,when i get home ive got plants ripped ouy ,dog bedding everywhere ,washing line pulled down ect ect ....in my book this is what you get when there not walked enough ! pork chews are good like pigs ears ect ect ! But the bottom line is if you dont walk him enough and your not there, then they end up getting bored and distroying your house ! :(

11. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

My sister has this prob with her bull terrier, She is walked god knows how many times aday, She keeps her occupied by plays with her a good few times for a short time in the garden and she has now invested in the kong which does keep her occupied for ashort time aswell, Ontop of other chew treats like rawhide etc.
    But you cannot put it down to a dog not getting walked enough, That could be one of the reasons for someone else but it was'nt one of the reasons for my sisters bully, She is just plain and simple a destructive active bully, And no matter what she does with that dog she just never seems to tire.

I took my sisters dog out with me for the day for 6 hours, Walking there and letting her run all the wile we was there, Walking back laters aswell, I gave her back to my sister, and not even 10 mins later she was up again looking for something to wreck.

Now wtf can that be all about?

My dogs don't do it yet they are treated exactly the same as my sisters?
    In all the years of owning bullys i have never in my life seen one so active as this one.

12. garryd

garryd Guest

I bet i got one worse ! :(my tia was left just for one hour in her cage the other day while went and picked up a take away,when i got back she had broke the bars outa the cage:(fing bitch:mad:

13. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

LOL typical bully.
    So stubborn and don't give in easy :mad:
    My sisters did simalar, She ate abit of the crate tray in half hour, My sister only wanted to pop up me mums to pick something up :eek:

Donno why she does it tho? She is walked enough and given things tokeep her ocupied and played wiv :( Can't win :(

14. garryd

garryd Guest

I know what your saying and do agree to a point,but you watch the dog whisper/Ceasar millan on tv and he will tell most dog owners thats complaining about Destructive Behaviour At Home,that they dont walk there dogs enough and this is one of the main cause of Destructive Behaviour:) I agree with him ! Imagine how bad your sisters dog would be if it didnt get walked enough :eek:

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

True, Looking at it from that point of view i can see your point.
    Bloody ell tho..If my sisters walks her anymore then she does, She would be out all day long lol.

16. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Great post!
    I was going to say that there can be a number of factors why dogs are distructive.
    Food,Excercise,Seperation anxiety etc,so I would look at the whole picture not just the excercise the dog gets.

17. garryd

garryd Guest

What you meen like this :(:(
    [​IMG]

18. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

TY :D
    My staffy was distructive many years ago in her younger years because of separation, I took her everywhere with me and when i had to leave her on her own for like shop trips and doing some work ect she would wreck bigtime, She ate a carpet, she swang of my curtains, she ate my bathroom door halfway up ( it looked like a barn door lol ) she wreck my kitchen cupboards she ate my fire surround and the list goes on, All in a short space of time on different accations :eek:
    I was told to try separate myself from her for longer periods of time and not take her everywhere with me..i must say..it worked over time, She did get out of it :D Thank truck :D

19. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

LOL glad im not along on this one garry haha.

She stared chewing hers from the sides inwards, Not quite in the middle lol, Altho she was working her way to the middle hehehe.

20. garryd

garryd Guest

Yeah me and the mrs could get over her doing that in the middle:( she was trying to dick down under:eek:i dont even think she had an hour to do that :( she was only left in the cage as she on heat and i didnt want to leve her unsupervised:(
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice