Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Destroys house at night. This is new.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lynn M Arocho, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Lynn M Arocho

Lynn M Arocho PetForums Newbie

5 month old pup. Got house trained down for the most part, can't complain. But suddenly every morning we wake up to complete destruction. Sofa cushions, a pack of toothbrushes I just bought. My plant. It doesn't even have to make sense. As far as being fun or tasty. He doesn't care if it doesn't smell or taste like anything. There's no propose to it. And he had been fine. Trying to avoid crating. Any ideas. He has tons of assorted toys.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Where does he sleep?

At this age he could’ve teething so needs to chew and to him, anything’s game.

It was around that age we as a family became extremely tidy and careful what was left out in reach of our pup (my new black suede shoes with a chewed heel were the deciding factor for me ;)).

#2 Lurcherlad, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Sarah H and Linda Weasel like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

You might not think it smells, but I'll guarantee it does to him. Dogs possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, compared to about six million in ours - remember, dogs - suitably trained - can sniff out money, apart from drugs, explosives, etc, even cancer cells. However, he's not doing it because it smells - everything smells to a dog. Boredom? Teething (as 'Lurcherlad' suggests), perhaps?

Be wary of him chewing plants - some plants are posionous to dogs (some plants are poisonous to humans, of course).

If you do decide to cage him (for his own safety, if nothing else), make sure you introduce the cage gently - there's plenty of advice online - rather than just locking him in it. Cages are not bad, per se, but the dog needs to learn that it's a 'good' place to be.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Our first puppy chewed the back of my wife's boots - while she was wearing them!! :Banghead

caterpiller, Lurcherlad and Boxer123 like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I left the ex husband virtual reality headset to low and it was eaten. I know not to leave anything even the remote down incase.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Could be anxiety about being left alone overnight. Dogs go through another fear stage around this time.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice