Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Desperate

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lauren Lariz, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Lauren Lariz

Lauren Lariz PetForums Newbie

Hi! My cat is sick once a month and i do not know what to do anymore. I go to the vet every month, take bloodresults and scans, and the result is always the same. Some peniciline and pills that help against vomiting and protecting from vomit acid. Maybe some vitamins and then some recomendations for nutrition. Do you maybe know what the next step is? Am i just going to do this for the rest of his (My cats) life or is there a solution? Btw, this is my first thread, so sorry if i am not following the rules of the forum (haven't read them)

Thanks for reading

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What do you mean by "sick once a month"? Do you mean she vomits once a month? One vomit, once a month? No other problems? She pees and poops normal?

What's her diet?

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

More questions

How old is she?

Does she go outside?

Is she vomiting food or bile or foam. If food is it undigested food from hours ago, or does it come right back up (regurgitation)

Any fur in it?

4. Lauren Lariz

Thanks for replying!

He vomits whatever food he is given at the time. And the vomiting is ongoing until i go to the vet. He vomits 3-5 times from the day he gets sick. When he is sick he pees and poops normal. His behaviour does not change much other than he get a little "embaressed" right after he vomits

Thanks again

5. Lauren Lariz

He is 2 years old. Got him when he was 6 months old.

He does not go out.

He vomits mostly food. If there is no food left (as in he already vomitted all the food he ate), he vomits "spit". He usually vomits 30 minutes after he eats

No fur in it

Thank you a lot for replying to my post!

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Once a month he pukes a while after eating and after that continues to puke until you take him to the vet?

What is his diet? Do you free feed?

I'm thinking this is a motility issue. Fur is building up in his stomach and getting stuck instead of passing through to the bowel. When enough builds up, there is no room for food, gas builds up, and he starts puking. Once his stomach is completely empty of food for a number of hours, pyloric emptying is stimulated, the fur finally starts to move through to the intestines, and he eventually poops it out. Then it starts building up again and the whole thing starts over.

Has the vet done x rays?

7. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Welcome! If you are concerned he's not improving I would be inclined to get a second opinion. Hope he's better soon.

8. Lauren Lariz

Yes to the first sentence.

He is currently eating Hills presciptrion diet - Digestive care i/d (dry).

We have done x rays 4 times now to see what is going on, and nothing is found. The vet was wondering if there was something stuck like you mentioned, but apparently that is not the case.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well this is what I recommend, based on personal experience with a cat also on one of those awful Hill's alphabet diets (have a look at the ingredients, you'll be horrified). She developed similar symptoms, but x rays did show gas build up and a mass (fur, it was assumed) moving through.

I would transition your cat to an all wet (or balanced raw, or both) diet. Schedule feeding three meals a day, the intervals don't have to be exactly spaced.

Add egg yolk to improve motility. this can be done in a number of ways. Raw 1/2 yolk twice a week, boiled, half yolk twice a week, or 1/4 yolk daily, or dried yolk. Egg yolk is rich in choline, which improves motility (muscle contraction and expansion in the intestines)

Adding the yolk, and putting him on a wet diet may be all that is needed. Some cats need more help. Egg yolk lecithin (EYL) can be added in addition to egg yolk. Or you can try the EYL first. The egg yolk lecithin is a fat emulsifier,. Hair balls are made up of fur and fat. The fur gets all bound up with the fat and that's why it can't pass, or be brought up. The EYL breaks up the fat, loosening the fur so it can be passed out with the waste, like it is meant to be.

Cats need a diet high in meat sources and moisture, dry corn nuggets are just plain bad for them. Putting your boy on a wet diet may be all that is needed. But I would go ahead with the egg yolk, or the EYL, or both, anyway. Both are good for him.

Also, very important to ensure he gets enough exercise. Do you play with him every day, getting him running, climbing, jumping? Lots of places for him to scratch, and get a full body stretch when he does? All of it works together. x

10. Lauren Lariz

I wish i could get him to eat wet food. He only eats/drinks the sauce that comes with the wet food. Also i have tried feeding him foods that i make myself. Chicken, beef and fish (all unsalted and so on), but no success here either, since he denies to eat it.

I have never heard about the egg yolk trick and will definently give it a try. Also what do you mean by balanced raw food? I also saw you mention free food, which i have no idea on what it is

As to exercise i play with him an hour every day, split in three sessions, so i do not think that is the proplem. Climbing and scratching is not a concern either.

But i really do not think the problem is coming from fur. Multiple x rays have not shown a single indication for this case. Nevertheless it does not hurt to try what you are mentioning

I want to say sorry for my broken english and thank you for all the help!!

11. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Has the cat had ultrasound as well as X-rays?

12. huckybuck

When he vomits is it just food or is it a furball?

13. huckybuck

Has the vet ruled out pancreatitis?

14. Lauren Lariz

Yes he has had ultrasound once and multiple x rays

When he vomits it is just food

huckybuck likes this.
  15. Lauren Lariz

sorry but i do not know the term.

16. huckybuck

What is your main language?

I think I would take him to a different vet (ask for your notes from this one to take with you).

But definitely ask about pancreatitis.

17. huckybuck

18. Lauren Lariz

My main language is danish and thank you alot with the help!

huckybuck likes this.
  19. huckybuck

Ask the vet if it could be

bugspytkirtel

/bugspytkirtelbetaendelse

SusieRainbow likes this.
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Free feeding is just putting the food down and leaving it down all the time. This is not a healthy way for a cat to eat. First, Cats need to have empty tummies periodically to stimulate pyloric emptying. The last thing to leave a cat's stomach is non food items (in this case fur) The stomach needs to be empty for at least a few hours for kitty to actually feel hunger pangs. Hunger is what simulates pyloric emptying (the non food items moving out)If the stomach is never empty of food, the fur never moves out.

In addition, if the cat is nibbling all the time, his digestion is "on" all the time. Digestion uses up a lot of energy, energy the cat's body needs for other things too. The body needs to rest from digesting periodically. All bodies do.

You can transition your cat to scheduled feeding, and you can get him on a wet diet. It takes effort, but any cat can be transitioned,to a wet diet, even a die hard kibble addict. I have written out a tried and true method which I will be happy to post here. It is not originally my own original method, it was a method used by someone with a desperately ill cat whose life depended on being taken off a dry diet. It works, it takes time and patience and effort, but it can be done. I used the method to transition a cat from canned to raw.

There are many kinds of wet food, the chunky kind is not usually well received by cats who are kibble addicts.

Raw diet is feeding raw meat and either organs and bone to balance with the muscle meat, or using a pre-mix to balance the meat, or adding your own supplements.

I am not a vet and cannot diagnose your cat of course. However, only good can come from improving his diet. It may solve his problems, he may need further help. But getting him off that Hill's stuff can only be a good thing.

Much of what I am telling you is based on personal experience. but I've had a lot of help over the years too. From the people who run this site:

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

There is a wealth of information there. For real time help there is a closed facebook group. Even if you don't do facebook, you might want to start an account, just so you can access the Raw Feeding for IBD Cats group.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice