Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Desperate re Diarrhoea in my 9mth old Cairn

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by 4boys, Apr 4, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Guest

Pero doesn't look too bad to be honest, not a food I'm too familar with though. Orijen is the only dog/cat food that I would ever recommend to anyone and that would obviously be second to a raw diet. That has 500mg/kg of glucosamine guarenteed but it's £40 for 13.5kg.

Are you wanting to go all raw?

I think it would benefit your lab with the dodgy elbow, it would probably eliminate the need for added glucosamine as raw bones contain an abundance of glucosamine, chondrotin, collage and calcium among other nutrients which are all good for healthy bones and joints.

2. 4boys

4boys PetForums Newbie

Hi AJ
    I would like to look at the sites you mention and look into what's involved with a raw diet. I can see the sense in researching it well as I have four children, work part time outside the home and maintain large house and garden, so do need to be practical about how much more time I can devote to Alfie. I was prepared for him to take up a fair bit of time in the early months, but nothing could have prepared me for what it's been like.:eek:

3. AJ

AJ Guest

Sounds like a nightmare! It doesn't take much work once you get into it to be honest, I spend no more time feeding 3 dogs now than I did feeding one on dry and tinned food, infact I probably spend less time most days. I'll put together a list of the websites I found interesting/useful and PM them to you. :)

4. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Eventually yes i think given the difficulties in trusting pre - prepared diets it would be my choice to spend the time preping the food my self . I quite enjoy the satisfaction of the look on thier faces when they can smell what they are about to eat . At the moment though i dont have a freezer big enough to keep enough food frozen and dont have any room to put a small freezer just for thier meat This is why it tends to be a weekend thing as i can get the meat and thaw it to feed over the few days . When you say bone do you litterally give them a bone every day or is it from a powdered form . Thanx for your time on this , you know when you know you cant be that wrong in what your doing , but its always nice to have your suspiscions answered

5. AJ

AJ Guest

You can give it in other forms but bone is best served whole and fresh, you don't get the teeth cleaning benefits when you give it in other forms.

I feed things like lamb chops or chicken wings daily so they get bone everyday, even with small bones like that they get to have a good chew, which is good for their teeth. It stops the pups chewing other things too! :)

Sometimes they just get chucked a turkey leg and thats their meal done and dusted. It really isn't as hard to feed as some people make out. So long as you ensure you're serving a balanced diet over a period of time you don't need to make it balanced each day.

6. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

AHHHH ok I see thats cool so on average for dogs such as ours whats the meat amount per day in grms approx bearing in mind the weight loss isssue , and do you just buy from the supermarket,or as i know they do pre frozen meat at pet stores .

7. AJ

AJ Guest

I just buy it from the supermarket or butchers, organic/free range if I'm feeling flush as that's the best way but to be honest it would cost a fortune doing that everyday!

I feed by eye making sure no ones getting chubby or skinny, don't stick to a particular amount a day but each dog is different anyway and you'll have to find the right balance with your pair.

Milo is a lab/staff cross and is about the size/energy level of a lab and he has about 5-8 lamb chops or chicken wings a day usually less on days he gets offal as well (2-3 times a week).

4-5 days a week he will also get a kong filled with raw beef mince and natural live probiotic yogurt and the other 2-3 days of the week 200grams beef mince in a bowl mixed with blended vegetables.

They usually have big meaty bones just lying around the garden to chew on when they are out. That's a point you might want to feed outside as it can get quite messy indoors!

We have a Northern Inuit coming to stay next week and he will eat 16+ chicken wings a meal!!! :eek:

Hope that gives you an idea of what amounts you're looking at. :)

8. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

thanx AJ big help .

9. AJ

AJ Guest

No problem, let me know how it goes! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice