Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Desperate! Naughty rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Maisie oliver, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Maisie oliver

Maisie oliver PetForums Newbie

I have a 7 month old mixed breed rabbit that I love dearly. However for the past month it has become harder to control his behaviour.

In the day I would keep him out from 9am til around 11pm. From here I would shut him away using a gate. This did work until he began tugging on it which was extremely loud. He had plenty of room here to run and play. I then tried keeping him in his cage with food, water toy etc. This resulted in him tugging on his cage. I tried to ignore the noise however It was overly loud. Finally I gave in and chose to let him run free at night which worked very well. Until he decided my bed was the perfect place for his litter box and not only his bed but me. It is impossible to sleep while he continues to urinate on me and my bed. I feel as if I’ve tried everything

The only options I can think of now is to possibly use a tall sheet of plexi glass that he could not climb, is this safe??? An xpen however would he not be able to pull on this the same as his cage and gate? Finally would I be able to place his cage in the bathroom at night? Is this safe or cruel. Thanks for your opinions

2. Maisie oliver

Maisie oliver PetForums Newbie

He is neutured

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Do you have another room that isn't your bedroom he can go? Have you considered bonding him with a spayed wifebun so he has somebun else to occupy his time with?

They are stubborn creatures and you don't really change behaviours rather than divert them to something else!

I got rid of my guys gate when they started trying to pull it about, and then they relaxed once they essentially had free reign. Difference being they were both ancient and didn't have youthful exuberance on their side! I now only have the one 12 year old bun, she's bonded with a 1 year old now though and fortunately he's followed her lead and doesn't leave their room either.

Rabbits view barriers as challenges, not barriers! I imagine yours will just make a racket in a cage now as he knows freedom is way better. They are often far more active at night than during the day anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice