Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

desperate help needed with 8 week old pup. (long post but desperate)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by WilsonsMummy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. WilsonsMummy

WilsonsMummy PetForums Newbie

Hiya! im new,joined today!!

just need a bit of help really. weve had an 8 week old dachshund cross jack russel pup for two nights now. I knew that he would winge and cry in the night due to him missing his mum and litter, but i want to get him out of the habit of sleeping next to me as soon as possible. The first night we had him we brought him home at night and had no bed or crate. So i made him a makeshift bed out of 2 big cardboard boxes. Cellotaped them together and cut a hole in the middle and put blankets, toys and one of my old jumpers (someone said my smell would soothe him) in one side of the box. And then put puppy pads down in the other side. He only woke up winging 3 times in the night then went back down after a bit of a moan. Did a poo and a wee on his pad side which i was happy about.

Now, yesterday i bought him a crate. I put all his.blankets and toys in 2/3rds of the crate and a puppy pad in the other 1 3rd of it and tried to keep him in the kitchen. As soon as i walked out of the room he started crying and howling as if he was being murdered. I was gutted and stood outside the kitchen door crying my eyes out cause i felt so bad leaving him. DP told me that he will learn and get over it. I went to bed still crying and he was howling blue-murder. After 20 mins i couldnt take it any longer so told DP to bring his crate up to the bedroom, i caved, basically. He ended up stayin in the bedroom and woke up every hour like clock work crying his heart out. I kept sitting up and just saying "shhhh" and "no". A couple of times he stopped after a "shh" but mostly he jus howled and howled. He did a couple of little wees on his pad side but no poos.

Now ive warned the neighbours about him (they said they cant hear which is good) i want to try and ride it out and keep him away from our room tonight. I was thinking that maybe he doesnt like the crate. So was going to put him in the downstairs toilet with a few puppy pads down and all of his toys and blakets and a bowl of water and put the heating on medium for him. Theres nothing in there that he can chew on. Literally a toilet, radiator and sink. Just wondering wether this is a good idea?? it broke my heart leaving him last night and hearing.him crying like he was. Filling up typing this now. Lol. I need some help please! xx

2. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

Oh dear, I gave up on the first night and let mine sleep with us, that was 3 months ago and he still with us. For me it's not issue but if you really don't want him there then carry on as you have, chances are it'll take longer than normal because you gave in, whining and howling worked the first night why wouldn't it work today? Keep telling him no and not reacting positively to his whining. Do not give In again if you really don't want him sharing your room. Can I ask why you don't want him in your bedroom? Good luck.

#2 considerthis, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Mumtomaddog

Mumtomaddog PetForums VIP

Hi WilsonsMummy... welcome to the forum.

I know that someone will be along to give a more detailed answer than i can. In the meantime though, here are my thoughts.

The first night he stayed with you in a box which wasnt too bad. The second night you left him in the kitchen, and you put him in a crate that he's not encountered before. Two things that are so new after such a short space of time.
    Really he needs time to become accustomed to the crate, see it as a good thing. Place him in it for just a few seconds at a time without closing the door etc and let him come and go as he pleases. Loads of praise when he goes in it of his own accord. He has to get used to his crate before you can think of leaving him in it, in the kitchen, alone.

Perhaps when he is used to the crate, put that beside the bed with him in it at night, then gradually move him further away. Until he is accustomed to being in the crate i would carry on with the cardboard boxes and keep him in your room. Its a huge upheaval for a puppy to be separated from their litter mates etc at first and it does take time to get used to.

Great that he used the Puppy pads though! :)

ETA: I really wouldnt be leaving him alone in the toilet. He really needs reassurance and i dont think he'll get that from being shut into a toilet, though i do understand where you're coming from.

#3 Mumtomaddog, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. WilsonsMummy

Hey thanks for your replies.

Yeah course u can ask. :) were expecting a baby around christmas time. This by no means means that Wilson (puppy) will get ignored, he'll have just as much attention during the day, i just really dont want him in the bedroom with baby.

What do i do when he.cries at night if he is in my room? do i ignore him or comfort him? i dont want him thinking that if he cries then he gets cuddles. I want him to know that night time is sleep time. Then in the morning i will.give him all the cuddles he wants x

5. evuze

evuze PetForums Junior

Read some articles on crate training and helping puppies be on their own.

Sounds like he's not too keen on being put in a cage and is not used to being on his own. It's important to do it sooner rather than later because every time he howls and you even speak to him, he learns how to get your attention and out of the situation. Essentially rewarding unwanted behaviour.

Not from experience, just what I've read :)

Good luck!

6. WilsonsMummy

Im doin a bit of crate training now. Hes in the crate with no puppy pads, and the door open so he can come and go. Sat next to it dropping in treats so he associates it with nice things. Hes happily sat in it atm on his cushion but i dont know wether its just because im sat with him x

7. WilsonsMummy

Does this sound ok? Il have.him in his crate with the door open an puppy pads on the floor around his cage so he can get out for a wee jus incase. And will set my alarm for every 2 an a half hours an take.him outside to see if he wees. Only gonna get up if he isnt cryin tho xx

8. leashedForLife

hi, hun -
    there's no reason not to have the pup in the bedroom at night, & many good reasons To Have Him there:
    he needs reassurance that he's not alone, he needs to Get Up & Go Out To Pee at 3-AM each night
    until he's about 15-WO, and he needs to grow-up a bit, & become less emotionally-dependent.

Right now, he's an infant - just weaned, & eating solid food. He needs an adult he can rely on, nearby -
    someone he can smell & hear breathing, so he can sleep with assurance that he's not alone in the world.

Even after the baby is born, if he's crate-trained, there's no problem having the pup & baby in the same room.

I'd bundle the pup's tags into a Quiet-Spot tag bag, or wrap a sturdy wide rubber band around & between
    the tags, so they don't jingle when the baby [or pup] is asleep, & wake either of them.

But U have 3-mos before Baby gets here, to housetrain, crate-train, teach the pup LLW [to walk nicely
    on a leash, AKA "Loose-Leash Walking"], teach some basic cued-behaviors such as Sit & Come!, etc.

U say the pup "won't get less attention" after the baby's birth, but unless U are hiring a full-time nanny
    who is also a wet-nurse, U WILL BE SPENDING A LOT OF HOURS with the baby, which must be deducted
    from something; i doubt very much that U will give-up sleeping entirely, or eat by shoving puree into a fixed
    gastric tube so that U can skip cooking or even CHEWing... so yes, the pup will get less attn.

That's the way it is; everyone only has 24-hrs in a given day - some of it must be spent eating, asleep,
    grooming & bathing oneself, cleaning the house, attending to a spouse, & so on. When a baby arrives, A LOT
    of time is spent on bathing, feeding, dressing, undressing, changing diapers, washing more laundry, etc.
    Like it or lump it, them's the facts. :eek: Baby will get precedence - Pup will be in second place, for a while,
    until he's a bit more mature & more independent.

Thank Goddess, pups grow-up much faster than human infants! :p He'll be an adult when Baby is still
    being potty-trained. :lol: Good thing.

9. leashedForLife

go to DogStarDaily website & download BOTH free books:
    'Before U Get Ur Puppy' & 'After...'

Free downloads | Dog Star Daily

Read them - cover to cover - & follow the instructions; among other things, U need to introduce the pup
    to at least 100 people, by the time s/he is 12-WO. That's ONE MONTH away - so it's 25 ppl each week.

Don't make them alike - choose widely-varying types, all ages, both sexes, every gender, tall & short, fat & skinny,
    fast-moving loud talkers & slow-moving silent ppl, crying children, running kids, ppl who speak other languages & who
    EAT other diets - what we eat emerges in how we smell, so diet is a critical component for dogs! --- every variation
    U an think of, including disabled folks with canes, walkers, wheelchairs, casts, braces, & so forth.

If U only introduce Ur pup to ppl who are the same color, ethnic / diet, social background, etc, as YOU...
    the pup will find ppl who look, smell, act, move, talk, & so on, differently from U to be very novel,
    a bit scary, & somewhat worrying. We don't want a pup who is defensive & snappy with strangers; we want a pup
    who is sociable & accepting of a wide variety of "normal", so the puppy needs a vast selection of "what's Normal"
    as a baseline. :wink:

10. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I have no advice to offer regarding crates or puppy pads, they're not something I've ever used. I prefer to set my alarm and get up to let pups out for the first few weeks. What you should consider though is the pups view of things, he's eight weeks old, he's been taken from his mother, his litter mates and has found himself in a completely alien place. I'd be surprised is he wasn't a little distressed for a few days. What he needs above all else is reassurance and comfort at this period in his life. He will settle in given time but you need to make a few allowances for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice