Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

desperate for a canter!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Lexi-puppy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Lexi-puppy

Lexi-puppy PetForums Junior

hi there

i just wondered if anyone had any advice i have the worlds worst canter seat!!!!

john whitaker i definatly am not!

whenever i canter i either bounce around terrible or when i take away my stirrups my legs come up and me toes point to the floor alot like frankie dettori!!!

all my instructor does is shout at me!!

please help!:)

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Its in the hips! Practice grinding your hips and go with the movement of the horse. The key is to be flexible in your pelvis and have good balance. Its just practice. Maybe you need a more sympathetic and patient instructor! :)

3. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

I know it is difficult but as Bullbreeds said its all in the hips. I learnt to perfect my balance by riding bareback for a few months, you could try this if your horse is safe to ride without a saddle. If not it all comes down to practice, you will have to learn to push your seat into the saddle and go with the flow. Your instructor shouldn't shout at you unless you are doing something dangerous. Maybe you should find a different instructor that will help you rather than yell. Shouting not only puts unnecessary pressure on you but can also upset the horse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice