Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Depression

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Britt, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Britt

Britt In love with Roucky

As you know I adopted a 14 years old stray cat. He has to stay in a cat run completely furnished (3 shelters, one is permanently warm, cat tree, high quality dry and wet food, cat friendly plants ....). He still looks really down and it makes me cry. He was dumped on an university campus when he was 4 and was only rescued in May of this year.
    I talk to him, I try to play but he’s not interested.
    Is there something I could give him to cheer him up? An antidepressant maybe?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Britt, no not an antidepressant, they are only given in circumstances to cats if they are very anxious or aggressive, not when depressed. They can have very unpleasant side effects, so I would definitely avoid them.

When a cat seems depressed (or withdrawn) it is advisable to check if it is a physical cause. Is he eating OK and pooing and peeing normally ?

As you have adopted him why is he out in a cat run? Is this a temporary arrangement e.g. quarantine for a few weeks before you bring him indoors?

It is possible he is lonely - can you sit in the run with him and talk to him or play with him? I assume the run is big enough for a human?

If this does not help, then I would suspect he is not feeling well. Has he been checked by the vet for diseases common in senior cats e.g. kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes and high blood pressure ? And has he had a dental check?

Britt and Summercat like this.
  3. Britt

He has been a stray for 10 years and avoids contact with people. He’s not in a cage, he has a cat run of 6 meters long. It was mandatory because our gardens have no fence and he would run away.
    I’m waiting for the cat flap to be installed. While he was at the shelter he was outside even when it was raining.
    The vet told me it’s not unusual for a cat that has been a stray for such a long time to be depressed.
    I just want him to be happy .....

Douglas’ Dad and Treaclesmum like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Britt, yes I agree, a cat who has been a stray for 10 yrs is likely to be very wary of humans and probably quite withdrawn. It is likely to take a while before he comes out of his shell.

I am very pleased you have been able to adopt him and given him a good home for the rest of his life. :)

Britt likes this.
  5. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

You sound great. I think maybe it might be just a bit of patience. There’s a website I found yesterday which was a great training resource for abused cats. It’s not quite the same situation but the tips they give might help.

https://thecatsite.com/c/how-to-help-an-abused-cat-recover/

One thing. Please stop the dry food. This can never be a good thing for a cat. See catinfo.org for more info on why.

Britt likes this.
  6. Britt

Thank you @chillminx. You have always been very supportive and I really like you :)

chillminx likes this.
  7. Britt

I know most of you here don’t like giving dry food to their cats but I almost lost Pooh six years ago when I changed his food from dry to wet and giving him RC Gastrointestinal/Fibre saved him.
    I give Acana or Orijen dry that I think is good quality.
    I’m introducing him to raw but I still have a lot to learn about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice