Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deposits on unviewed puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Anna 12@, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Anna 12@

Anna 12@ PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have looked through the forum and picked up a few guiding points.
    I’d like advice on this...
    Paying a deposit on a dog which we haven’t seen. We have seen the mum. But what I’m worried about is, we won’t see / pick until 6 weeks old but they want a £200 deposit at 1 week old. I want to secure the dog , but it’s similar to paying deposits on rental houses.... what guarantee can I ask for and how safe is my money or am I taking a gamble. Any advice we come

2. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Personally I would not part with that amount of money. You say you haven't seen the pup, it screams scam to me.

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Firstly 6 weeks old is to young to leave it's Mother he/she should be a least 8 weeks old.
    Secondly I wouldn't pay anything until I've seen the puppy.
    What breed is the puppy?

wee man likes this.
  4. Anna 12@

Thanks. We wouldn’t be taking until 8 weeks but can pick at 5/6

5. Anna 12@

Boxer

6. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We did not pay a deposit for our dog Luna until we met her with her mum and litter mates at her lovely breeder's house. Prior to this we had spoken a number of times on the phone and by text. Following our visit, we received regular updates with photos. Does the breeder explain why she/he requires a deposit so early? Do they worry that people will say they want a puppy then change their mind?

7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Id also be concerned about not meeting the pups. Boxers are prone to health problems have tests been done. If you are not 100% walk away.

margy, karenmc, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Carsonspride

Carsonspride PetForums Junior

As a breeder I refuse to take a deposit untill I have found out a bit and met the prospective owners. If I dont like them - they aint having one of my pups. End of

9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @Happy Paws2 says, 6 weeks is too young and any breeder who will let puppies go at that age isn’t a good one; alarm bells should ring straight away.

Look elsewhere for your puppy.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She is not having the pup till 8 weeks.

I think it is a difficult one. The breeder has probably been let down before and feels taking a deposit protects her as well as the new owner. I booked a pup with a breeder about 20 years ago and offered a deposit. She refused it and I was sent photos and kept in touch over the weeks. When the time came to make final arrangements I contacted her again and was told that as I had not paid a deposit my pup had been sold to someone else. I was pretty upset!

rona and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I don't believe it's reasonable to ask you to pay a deposit for a pup you've never seen.

There would be no reason, in my opinion, why you could not see the pups at four weeks old and then pay your deposit if you're happy.

Personally, I would never have sold a pup to someone I had never met. Taking a deposit from someone you have only had 'phone contact with doesn't really say caring breeder to me.

wee man, lorilu, margy and 3 others like this.
  12. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

With many pups now being bought via the internet often from breeders that are at a considerable distance, I have a feeling that deposits on unseen pups are not that unusual. You therefore need to look at the bigger picture to see if this is genuine and primarily you have to know and trust the breeder.

So the questions I would be asking before I parted with any money are -

What do I know about this breeder and their breeding practice (ie; health tests/previous litters/registration etc).
    If you have seen the bitch then i presume you have also seen the home environment - are you completely happy about the set up and did you like the breeder.
    Is it you (because of travel distance) or the breeder that is suggesting you don't see the pups until they are 6 weeks old? Our prospective new owners can meet the pups from week 3 and regularly from that point. However we do sometimes have new owners that live at a distance and then this isn't always possible.
    Has the breeder vetted you - have you had to answer lots of questions and show that you are a responsible owner. No breeder worth anything just sells to a voice on the phone. And never only by email. Emails are often scams.

So I would give the situations some thought. When we have a litter, I am quite casual about deposits as many of our new owners are well known to me by this point but it is the buyers themselves that like to pay something up front. Especially those who live at a distance. So deposits themselves aren't wrong as they do secure the sale. Talk to your breeder but if it doesn't feel right - walk away.

J

margy likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Some puppy farmers will plonk a litter into a family environment with a “mum” as part of the ruse. Obviously, they need to be old enough to survive without real mum and weaned, so that’s also something to consider, maybe?

I think, trust your gut.

lorilu and Happy Paws2 like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I got Candy I did the deal over the phone. We chatted for ages and all seemed well on both sides. Because of the distance and cost of travelling I could not go and see her or the set up. I also could not get away till she was 10 weeks. The breeder was happy to keep her and he lead trained and crate trained her and had her running around in the house with his other dogs so all that was a bonus with her being the only pup left. He also stipulated that if I did not like her I did not have to take her and no money changed hands till I had seen her. He also took her to the vet the day before we were seeing her which was a bit fraught as we had to leave that day, because one of the other pups had a heart murmur reported so he did not want me to have her if she had one. Luckily all was well and none of her myriad of health problems are related in any way to her breeding or rearing!

So many people now seem to find it impossible to phone and will only email or facebook or text. I will not even consider renting a house to someone who will not chat to me on the phone if they cannot meet face to face (got a house let at the moment where the people lived far too far away to view and that is not the first one I have had like that.)

15. Anna 12@

Thank you for all your replies. It’s so hard trusting people when you here of so many scams in general day to day life. Yes I’ve met them and happy with environment...... I’ve seen health checks kc etc.
    We will see what transpires .....

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  16. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

What happens if you put a deposit on a puppy but when you go and see them, none of the litter appeal to you?

You might not get your deposit back and end up getting a puppy you don't want

17. Anna 12@

18. Anna 12@

I no..... gamble.

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You don't want health "checks". If you are buying a breed you want specific health tests, DNA tests for whatever diseases the breed is prone to, to be sure the parents and grandparents (I think) are clear,.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

I’d walk away.

What if you’re not happy with the puppy? What if the breeder isn’t happy with you?

As someone who will be breeding a litter next year I’d never ask for a deposit like this. Too many factors involved which could go array.

They’ll be other litters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice