Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dentists.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by xgemma86x, Jul 17, 2009.

1. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Grrrr i'm so not happy:(

I had a dentist appointment today. I was led to believe I needed a filling abut oh how wrong I was! I got there and got settled in the chair and he said "Oh we need to remove your tooth":eek: I was less then impressed tbh. Not had a tooth out in years:( I think it was a root extraction too. I still got my filling but on a different tooth.The numbness has near enough worn off so I have sent he OH for a Mcdonalds for me:D Just hope I am ok for tomorrow as I have a driving lesson:(

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You're lucky you've even got one :( Since turning 18 I was 'kicked out' of my dentist because I was under my mother's name and been trying to find one since :(

3. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Do you have to pay for yours?

Im not working so I dont and it was hard finding 1 that took NHS Non-paying patients:(

4. kath123

kath123 Guest

Awww hun you poor thing, i hate dentists!! Am scared stiff to be honest so you are braver than me. Sending you a big hug xxx

How funny you started this thread as i am after some advice on dentists actually.

I need a brace and have needed one all my life, but as i am scared stiff of dentists never went and had my brace put on when i was a teenager.

So i am now 32yrs old and am getting married next september and have plucked up the courage to get it done because of my wedding and the photos as i will be very aware of my teeth so wont smile much which will ruin the wedding pics,only i went to the dentist and she said you cannot have it done on the NHS as you are over the age of 25!!!! :mad:

Has anyone heard of this and got any info on what i should do.

I am a single mum but do work part time, i am willing to pay for it to be done but couldnt afford to pay a couple of thousand pounds in a lump sum could i pay in instalments and get the work done by september next year!! :blushing:

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yep I have to pay (but I haven't found a dentist yet who isn't full to the brim with patients). I'm not working at the minute but I'm not on benefits and my OH earns over £18,000 a year.

6. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Unfortunately am not sure about your question but hopefully someone will come along and answer it for you. Good luck with your wedding tho:D

I am petrified of the dentist and really dont like going but after suffering weeks of pain then I had no choice:( Thankyou for the hugs,just what i need atm:)

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

lol, glad its not just me they do that to... i went last week for a filling and after i had sat down he said they were doing the filling but would also just whip:cursing: that wisdom tooth out as its not really much use:eek::eek:
    my quick reply was if i had known that i wouldnt have come!!! im scared to death of the dentist and think this was just his way of getting it done..

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have heard that they won't even fit children with braces when they need them now - don't know how true that is. I also thought it was over 16 that you had to pay.:confused: My daughter has been seeing an orthodontist for about 18 months now - we were lucky that she just got in before she was 16.

9. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Ah right id hate to be you atm then:(

10. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

I think they must know that if people know they have to have an extraction then they just wont go. I know I wouldnt have. Id rather have suffered:(

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Have you tried a private dentist?
    Our dentist took over from our old dentist when he retired and after about three years he suddenly announced he was going private. We had to go with Denplan which is £12.95 a month but for that you get two check-ups and two hygienist visits a year so it's not too bad I don't think because I think hygienists are around £35 or something now.:confused: I do feel that I get better treatment since he went private. He does the mouth cancer checkup every six months but my o/h's dentist only does it around every 18 months on the NHS.
    I broke a tooth a few weeks ago and had to have it filled. They got me in right away and it was quite a big filling and took about 1/2 hr and he charged £45 which I'm led to believe is quite reasonable really because I think my neighbour said he paid that much on the NHS for a filling.

12. animallover111

Hi Kathryn.....well as you know jack had his brace fitted about 2months ago though he is only 13 but the dentist we go to only sees private patients but for an adult to have a brace fitted etc its £3000 not only that he needs to wear his brace for 18months max but he needed teeth out,moulds taken,bands fitted etc which all took about another 12months you would need to see if it could be done quicker im not sure if it the same for teenagers as it is adults.......xxxx

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Believe it or not I can't afford it right now. £18,500 a year might sound a lot but it's not with rent and bills taken out and the OH is in so much debt :( I'll just have to do my best by myself for now.

14. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Oh gosh, I had a tooth pulled out around this time last year and the worst thing is, I have to have about 3 more taken out :( but she has referred me to the hospital
    And then the other worse part is, I have 2 wisdom teeth already grown and another two wisdom teeth growing :( No doubt my dentist will want them to come out too, even though they are really straight and not causing me problems.

I hadn't been to the dentist for years as I have this huge fear of them, my dentist wasn't taking on any new NHS patients, but my mum asked the dentist herself and she said she'd take me on. So I guess I was lucky.

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I'm 18, and because I'm over the age of 14 or something I was told I would have to pay for braces. I have a fang lol, it's really annoying, but then my dentist said, though at the time I was 17, something about dental cosmetic surgery and when I was 18 that she'd be able to do something. But I haven't seen her for 3 months, so will see what she says next time I go.

16. kath123

kath123 Guest

thanks everyone for your replies, i dont know what to do. I know i cant afford a couple of grand. I wish i had had it done when i was little!!!! I am soooo stupid!!! And now this will ruin my wedding!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

17. animallover111

It might be worth just ringing a few dentists a lot have these plan things so you wont need to pay it out at once and you still have over 12months so they may be able to help.......Kathryn it wont spoil your day hun its going to be fab................:)

18. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

ok two points to make here, first is i used to hate dentists and only went when in real pain...........then i had root canal treatment.............was the most fun............yes i know how odd is that, i think cos i had to go back time and time again cos they cant do it all in one go that i actually got really used to going so it was no longer a problem anymore, when i had a tooth pulled i actually laughed..............although that was probably something to do with the injection they gave me lol.

second point, my eldest daughter is nearly nineteen and having a brace fitted soon, she should of had it done before but no dentist would take us on when we moved , all sorted now though and she doesnt have to pay for it either so thats pretty good, she has a pointy tooth also and one that is hidden and needs pulling down so she had surgery at guys hospital to attatch a chain ready for when the brace is put on to then slowly bring the tooth down. i guess it differs on the kind of service you get in different areas.

19. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

Just looked this up, I'll look for orthodontists advice in a mo....

You're entitled to free NHS dental treatment if you receive income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance or the guarantee credit of Pension Credit. Your partner and children will also be entitled to free treatment. If you receive Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit then, depending on your income, you may be entitled to free dental treatment. Treatment is also free for under 18s, those over 18 but in full-time education, if you are are pregnant, or you've had a baby during the last twelve months and hold a valid maternity exemption certificate (this also if you had a miscarriage after the 24th week of pregnancy, or your baby was stillborn). Prisoners receive free dental treatment. In Scotland you're entitled to free checkups. That also applies in Wales, but only if you're under 25 or over 60. If you don't qualify for free treatment, you'll be asked to pay 80% of the costs.

Bloody prisoners get it FREE!!!!! Can't believe it.

1 person likes this.
  20. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

From what I've seen you will probably have to pay as it's for cosmetic reasons. You'd be better going for a check to see if it would even make any difference. I'm not sure how much braces would cost hopefully not that much.

I had braces aswell when I was younger, soooooo embarassing wearing that stupid head gear at night. Bad enough having a metal mouth!!! My teeth are crossing over a little at the front, I abhor dentists. The last time I went I had a tooth out which had 3 roots on it! I had about 6 injections of local anesthetic eventually as the dentist, who acted as though I was wasting her time by even being there, pulled and pulled practically putting her knee up against my chest lol. I shouldn't jest as it wasn't pleasant especially as I heard an almighty 'crunch' as the crown broke off. I'm glad I went though, I've never felt pain like the tooth ache I had prior. 2 Cocodamol only stopped the pain for half and hour!!!

#20 Melysia, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice