Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dental & operation risks due to heart murmur

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tobacat, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

My girl needs a dental. We're in the process of getting her hyperthyroidism back under control and monitoring her kidney levels as a couple of her kidney results were very slightly elevated last time. In getting her hyperthyroidism levels back under control it may unmask CKD which the vet would need to know before operating.

She been back for bloods and the vet picked up she has a heart murmur. This sometimes comes hand in hand with hyperthyroidism but given no one has picked it up during six visits since being diagnosed, vet wonders if it's down to general deterioration due to old age and has pointed out there would be risks involved in operating.

I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on whether these are significant risk? I don't want her in pain. We talked about hyperthyroidism, CKD, medication while we were away and the dental, so only now wondering what to do.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Poor girl, she has a lot going on.

Heart problems can develop in old age, just like in people. Hyperthyroidism may be the cause though, as this causes the metabolism and heart rate to increase. Once her thyroid levels are controlled, her heart may go back to normal.

I think you have to talk to your vet about the risks. It will depend on the severity of the heart murmur. Obviously any heart condition can increase the risks or surgery, but if the heart murmur is mild, the extra risks are likely to be very small. There are steps they can take to minimise the risks.

I hope she is well enough to have the dental. I had a cat who had a dental at 14 years of age. It gave him a whole new lease of life. Toothache is no fun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice