Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Demodex

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Worrid much, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Look at the spectacling around her eyes.... I don't think it's allergies at all. I think we're still fighting that f#cking mite ! Different vet, different opinion on monday

Attached Files:

2. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

I know it's really cheeky and you can't diagnose from a photo but if you're about Ceiling kitty then your unofficial guess at a glance would be so appreciated

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I know it took for ages for my friends staffy to be cured of the dreaded demodex...

So it's not under the relams of possibility.

So definitely skin scrapes yet again unfortunately. Sometimes you get false negatives...so hopefully not.

Good luck..

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Impossible to say just from a photo but could be as around the eyes is a common place for hair loss with localised demodex. A mite count may well confirm it.
    What have you tried Advocate spot on seems a bit hit and miss on occasion particularly if more then mild cases. Aludex wash is normally good although unpleasant and more difficult to use and there is another one now which I'm trying to recall the name of and although not licensed actually for demodex it seems to be having really good results on getting rid of it.

5. lullabydream

Are people using Bravecto now too?

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That's the one just couldn't think of the name thanks.

lullabydream likes this.
  7. lullabydream

You're welcome...it's horrible when it's on your tip of your tongue!

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  8. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

She was given 1 dose of advocate with no result and then 2 disses of brave to. Last skin scrape came back clean 8 weeks ago which is when allergies where mentioned. Been on a strict diet and twice weekly allermyl baths since.. itchy places are all too familiar. Also some hair loss around the ears. She is going to another vet today for second opinion. If her scrape comes back clean , I will request blood test... ive been told the bath mentioned is difficult to use in her case as it seems to be concentrated on her face.

9. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Just had a call from the vet. He did several scraping and found nothing. As she's so young he thinks she could grow out of allergies so is outing her on a course of tablets and holding off on blood test for now

10. lullabydream

When is she next due flea treatment...
    I would still stick to Bravecto on the off chance..

This is me going on the problems with colitis I had with my dog...everything was negative but it may have been coincidence but I chose to use a specific wormer, and follow protocol for a protozoa called giardia. She came round right...it was months of bad stomach too...loosing weight and constant vet trips. It was following a discussion with the vet...so we had nothing to loose.

Fingers crossed the tablets help her, itching must drive them crazy! Plus it can be habit forming, as I had one dog that had what we thought was sarcopic mange which is nasty, never got to the bottom of that, but the vet thought she got a bit OCD with itching...she had loads of fur loss too that the vet was not sure if would grow back. After stopping her itching in a variety of ways...she pulled through the other side and was absolutely fine. Skin never had a problem again.

11. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

After all that it turns out she can't have tablets because she's under a year so she's had the blood test after all. With sedation , scrape and blood test. £444. Off to lay down in a dark room now. Lol. Thx so much for your advice.

12. lullabydream

Ah at least you were prewarned...it might be an option. Hopefully the best thing...

It's more the shock payments...I went last Saturday for a weepy eye..thought just some drops and price of consultation...wrong embedded grass seed wasn't coming out for love nor money...GA to sort it..triple the price I expected!

I guess the tablets were Apoquel? I think that's how you spell them. They may be an option when she's older, when you know what you are dealing with..can be helpful for flares on environmental allergies!

At least it's not the £1000 you expected!

With hindsight...get her sorted or even now...think about insurance. Am honestly not preaching, and although her allergies or whatever they discovered will not be covered. It will give you peace of mind, especially in an emergency. My dog was attacked and it was touch and go. He's happy, healthy and full of beans now. He was so lucky as it was horrendous. If he hadn't been insured I think one of the options would be PTS. His bill for a week of treatment which was a lot of heavy duty pain killers, ultrasounds and X rays. 24 hour car as he was critical for 4 days..fluid therapy, nasal tube placement and feeding. A few stitches here and there, but the majority was wait and see, was over £3000. Yes he spent time at the emergency vets, so they can be more expensive however their care was critical to his survival. I paid my excess, and that's all. I was really impressed when one emergency vet phoned up to check on him, and I thought who is phoning from Scotland when I live Lincolnshire and it was him. That went above and beyond on my eyes!

Sorry for my ramblings...and fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it.

13. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Never see pet advice as ramblings. The £1000 is if I want to desensitized her to her allergies.... I well and truly learned my lesson about insurance. I filled in paperwork at vets today. X

lullabydream likes this.
  14. lullabydream

Fingers crossed it's allergies that can be worked with!

Worrid much likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice