Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Demodex Mites Arrggg !!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by shepherd mush, Apr 3, 2011.

1. shepherd mush

shepherd mush PetForums Member

I have two Border Collies, one m one f; the big male stays at home guarding while i'm at work and the little girl goes to a friends for the whole weekend . . .
    Trouble is my friend has been nursing a small staffy pup and my two have got the mites he has had since birth !

This all seemed to coinside with my dogs' annual booster vaccinations :mad:

all three dogs are being treated by the vets with a course of extremely expensive spot ons every four weeks and a corticosteriod for the affected areas

Has anyone else had a similar experience or can you offer any tips on getting rid of them quickly ?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you sure its not sarcoptic?

Demodectic mange isnt really contagious, and is only an issue to dogs with a compromised immune system. Its usually only passed on from mother to pup.

Either way, just make sure your vet doesnt use ivermectin as you have collies and it can be fatal without a test to see if you dogs have a specific gene.

3. shepherd mush

definitely demodex - found by microscope on two skin samples from my boy . . .
    as i said the staff my girl stays with every week had them just as my two had their booster shots . . . they must have flared up then; as my two are very active and healthy ordinarily.

4. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

Aludex baths is the treatment of choice, and should be continued for two weeks after negative skin scrapes are taken.

In adults there is almost always an underlying health problem, pups will normally grow out of it with time as the immune system matures. Staffs are the exception.

5. shepherd mush

So are you saying my two have health problems ? i doubt it as two separate vets have said other than the mites they are more healthy than most dogs they see - ie ideal weight, muscle tone etc and they are both very active as i say - my boy particularly pulls me about 9 miles a week on our dog scooter . . . Can't be much wrong with them . . .
    I think the fault here is that i wasn't warned that demodex could pass from a pup to an adult around vaccination time. Maybe this should be common advice !

6. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

They don't pass from a pup to an adult at vaccination time - who's given you this information? If it is demodex (rather than sarcoptic), they are present in dogs from the word go having been passed on from the dam. A dog's natural immunity should keep them in check and they never cause problems. Where they cause problems it is due to the dog's reduced immunity. If they are demodex and occured after vaccinations, could the vaccinations have lowered their immunity and caused them to muliply? I'm not sure, and never heard of a case, but it's the closest to an explanation I can think of.

Ps
    Unlike Sarcoptic mange which is contagious and relatively straightforward to treat, Demodex is more difficult because it is brought on by a reduced immune system.

#6 rocco33, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. shepherd mush

Our vets have all confirmed this is demodex mite, affecting small areas around the muzzle and feet on all of our dogs. (staffs and collies)
    Although all of the advice points to this not being passed from dog to dog my friends and i in four separate households have these; all at vaccination time, and coinciding with a 6 month old staff who was diagnosed a week earlier. I believe we're on to something here with demodex flaring up at booster time -
    Maybe it should be looked into - certainly i'll be having a longer than usual conversation with the vet; as for my two 16 weeks treatment for this is £120.
    And i'm not about to quible over a small bill for my pet's health - i just feel this could have been avoided somehow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice