Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

demodectic mange

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by wrinkles, Jul 8, 2009.

1. wrinkles

wrinkles PetForums Member

desperate DDB owner could do with some help/advice ! i am looking for some advice regarding the dreaded demodectic mange! my DDB puppy {19 weeks} has developed a small bold patch on her front leg, confirmed today by skin scraping to be demodectic mange. :0( after a full scale panic, i calmed down and did some research! lol it seems my adult dogs are not at risk, or my cats {thank god} we have a 'spot on' treatment from the vets, to be done every 4 weeks. if this isnt successful he will start 'dips'. from what ive read this is to do with a weak immune system, makes sense as she's a baby. but is there anything i can do to help 'boost' her immune system and in turn control this nasty bug! she is a much loved family pet who was never intented to be bred, so no issues there as she will be spayed asap. she is fed ARDEN GRANGE dry, with fresh meat every few days. would changing her to a completly raw diet help? im happy to do what i can to help her. is there any suppliments i can give her to try and boost her immune? sorry for the long post, its been a stressful day!!!!!

2. rona

rona Guest

poor you, hope someone comes along soon to help you

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. Clearing this problem can be a long process and there are a number of preparations that you can use but it does tend to take time. I can't offer any advice re boosting her immune system, but I would recommend you contact your breeder and let her know as this is a hereditary problem and they should not breed again from the bitch (I'm assuming your girl is a pet and you have no intentions of breeding her either).

What spot on treatment did the vet give you - I thing both stronghold and advocate are usually prescribed.

4. wrinkles

hi. thanks for taking the time to reply :) i have contacted her breeder and no she is definatly not going to be bred. so no worries on that part. just need to get my girly better! i guess i am lucky she has this type, and not the contagious one, so i am thankful for that at least!! the spot on is called promeris duo. from what i can find, its quite a new treatment. i am surprised if im trueful that it needs only applying once every 4 weeks, as i pictured an aggressive treatment plan. i have of course put it on her, but am sat here twidling my thumbs feeling like i should be bathing her, putting cream on every hour ect ect! i think i might give the vet a ring tomorrow and see if there is anything else we can do as well as the spot on, 4 weeks seems along time to wait until another treatment? unless im being over stressed?! any advice very very greatfully received!!!

5. rona

rona Guest

The trouble with bathing is, it will counter the effect of the spot on. There may be a cream that could be used on the mange spot

6. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

my friends puppy was treated with pro meris due , she had to have a few treatments monthly but it worked lovely!:)

7. wrinkles

hi. its great to hear the stopon worked for your friend :) we have 3 months supply so fingers crossed! do you know if she had to apply it every 4 weeks? or more often? just seems a big gap in time to me! thanks also for the cream and bathing tip, i will call them tomorrow and see if i can get any cream and put bathing out of my mind. i guess im just desperate to get her better, and rid of the horrid bold patch on her leg! which looks so much worse now they've done the scrapping!!!!

8. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

tbh i think she put it on every 3 weeks? i think creams hinder the healing process, she did just use the pro meris duo and was told it would look worse before looking better,but it definately worked!:) what area are you?

9. wrinkles

thats good to hear. the vet did warn me it will look worse in a few days. im in the midlands. im really greatful for you taking the time to share what you know, you have really helped reasure me that we can get her better. i think i should stop reading stuff on the net, and looking at worst case stuff. its freaking me out!!!!

10. Sheltielady

Sheltielady PetForums Junior

To boost the immune system you could try Canine care multi-vitamin & mineral capsules. They're in a base of kelp, green barley and probiotics, very natural contains no gluten, wheat, lactose, colourings, preservatives, sugar starch or yeast. Manufactured by Pet Nutrition Concepts, one of my dogs had them from my holitic vet. She also had sarcoptic mange, so the vet put her on omega 3 essential fatty acid supplement for her skin. We used Grizzly Salmon Oil, it really helped. You could always maybe take her to a holistic vet who could recommend some natural supplements and homeopathy to help her while she heals. Supplements will also help support her system flush out the toxins from her conventional treatment which is toxic yet very necessary as their are no alternatives that I know of. I am very lucky to have a good vet who uses both conventional and holistic treatment to support my dogs when they need it. Hope this helps.

11. Sheltielady

P.S. as she's only a baby 19 weeks, please be careful about you're vet recommending highly toxic dips for a youngster who already has a weak immune system. Get her boosted up as much as you can. Best of luck.

12. wrinkles

Thank you for that advice. where could i buy the suppliments you advised? im willing to try anything! she only has a tiny patch at the moment and im desperate to keep it tiny, after seeing pictures of dogs who have it bad :0(

13. Sheltielady

Hi, if you google "Grizzly Salmon Oil" it will come up on ebay. There's an ebay shop called holisticpetworld selling it for £11.50 for 500ml or £18.50 for a litre.
    Vega Canine Care Multivitamin and Mineral Capsules (manufactured by pet nutrition concepts ltd) are £12.65 for 90 capsules. Go to The Nutri Centre and click on "search by manufacturer", click on "Vega", then click on letter "C" and scroll down page to Canine Care Multivitamins and Minerals. My vet supplied them to me. Good Luck!

14. wrinkles

thank you so much for all that info, will get hubbies bank card out and start ordering! lol fingers crossed in a few months ill look back on this and wonder why i worried so much !

15. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Try speaking to Dorwest Herbs. They are very helpful and should have something that will help imnprove immune system efficiency.

I've had a couple of male DDB with Demodex in the past, never a girl though. They were always treated with Aludex which is an insecticide wash. pretty toxic and difficult to apply as you have to get it everywhere and let it dry naturally without them licking it. I always got the vets to do it tbh. They would need a few washes every 10 days until scrapes showed negative. You're probably aware though that all dogs carry the demodex mites, they are passed on from the mother when they are young. I was recommended Advocate once treatment was complete to keep them from coming back. I imagine these treatments are probably outdated by this newer one you are using though.

16. wrinkles

Hi snorning bear. thanks for the advice, ill definatly look that up ;) this spot on treatment only needs doing once every 4 weeks, which doesnt seem alot does it? but hey if it works im happy! but im definatly going to try and build her immune system up in the mean time. and will order everything everyone has advised. im also on the look out for a vet that uses holistic treatments too, as though my vet is VERY good, id like to try that route also. will let you all know how we get on :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice