Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Demodectic mange

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dcole0, Mar 13, 2017.

1. dcole0

dcole0 PetForums Newbie

Our four year old shepherd? Mix (looks a lot like a solid black German shepherd) Megateon has demodectic mange. He responded well to the vet but when we brought him home, he was prescribed prednisone. We have him this for several days and started lowering the dose per the vets instructions. When we got to 1/4 of a 5mg pill every 48 hrs, he started scratching his face again. We have messed with his does a few times now but I read somewhere that dogs with mange should not take prednisone. His skin isn't looking red like it did when the mange was terrible but clearly it still itches. We are trying mitaban next week but I'm just not sure we are on the best course of action. Is it normal to start this process with prednisone? He has also developed some nasty smelling brown discharge from his ears that I am going to call about tomorrow. I washed them with ear wash tonight. Just looking for some answers for my poor guy. Thanks for any help!

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

A lot of dogs carry a few demodex mites, however with a normal fit healthy dog, the immune system works to help keep the numbers down, so that they don't cause any symptoms or problems. Demodex often causes a problem in puppies and young dogs more, because they have immature immune systems so cant control the mites. It can occur in older dogs, often if there immune system is below par.

Steroids do usually help with allergic reactions and inflammation, because in high enough doses they suppress the immune system. An allergy is the immunes system going overboard in response to the allergen, so usually steroids by suppressing the immune system stop the response to the allergen, and the steroid also usually helps with inflammation as it has anti inflammatory properties. If steroids are used with demodex or any other mites that should be naturally controlled by the immune system (assuming it is working properly in the first place) then suppressing the immune system can make the mites worse. Even if the problem is just allergies though, often the steroids may work while on them or for a short time after, but once off them, if the allergen is still present it will flare up again.

Often skin conditions can start with one thing and then you often get secondary issues on top, like bacterial infection, or yeast/fungal infections too. These can also often be made worse by suppressing the immune system which should naturally help deal with those aswell.

Has the vet done skin scrapings identified the demodex and done a mite count. Demodex which lives in the hair follicles is often found on skin scrapes and hair plucks when viewed under a microscope, sarcoptic mites which burrow and live in the skin and is usually extremely itchy are often missed on skin scrapes, its only estimated that 20/50% are diagnosed that way, so they are often missed.

Advocate spot on is often first used as it is supposed to treat both sarcoptic and demodex mites, but sometimes it doesn't work. Pre spot ons amitraz washes brand names like Mitaban and Alludex were used, and are still available, and sometimes if the spot ons don't work are often still used.

If there is still a high mite count and its causing issues, then obviously that will need treating. However if he has developed other secondary issues too which can be common like bacterial skin infection and/or yeast fungal infection, then that too would have to be treated.
    It could be though if the steroids are suppressing him immune system that's why you have gotten an increase in the mite count and also maybe even a secondary bacterial of yeast/fungal infection, or it has made that worse too. It could be that he has gotten a bacterial and/or fungal infection in his ears.

3. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Bravecto is very successful at treating Demodex providing it is the cause of the problem. Any secondary infections would also need to be treated separately as SDH has mentioned.

4. marie dora leah

marie dora leah PetForums Newbie

My 2year old bitch Boston Terrier has demodectic mange made worse over the winter I heard the heat from the fire made it flare up her neck and belly are red her back has lost a lot of hair ive tried stinky stuff and building up her immune system then I read on line that Borax mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide amd water clears it up wanting to do it Holistically not the vets dips etc then learned Borax was withdrawn from market in Uk arghhh help any help would be great

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your bitch needs to see a Vet.

I would not be putting a mixture of borax and hydrogen peroxide on her already inflamed skin.

You could make matters worse.

6. marie dora leah

I read about it dogs cured using Teds Remedies saw photos and so many with successful stories I wonderd if anyone on this site had used this

7. Sled dog hotel

Have you had skin scrapes from the vet to confirm its demodex mites? There may be a possibility that its not demodectic mange and its something else that's causing the hairloss and inflamed red skin. often skin conditions can start with one thing and then you can get other problems on top like bacterial skin infection, so both problems need sorting out and treating. Unless you can get the problem sorted out correctly then the mites will just keep multiplying and the problem will become more and more generalised. I certainly wouldn't be putting things on it like borax and hydrogen peroxide you could caused even more damage and soreness of the skin.There is other things apart from the veterinary only medicine type dips such as alludex.

8. marie dora leah

Her previous owner had that all confirmed when I got her I stopped all the dry foods wheat etc to cut out the yeast thats food to the mites gave probiotics raw foods eggs omega 3 plenty exercise bought stinky stuff and other products for mites all was better then she got kennel cough in February I had to keep the place hot and steamy to help relive the symptoms and it did but I'm sure it helped the mites return one of her litter had fits after the vets toxic dips I can't do that to her it has to be holistically

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Hollistic and hydrogen peroxide do not go together in one sentence.

Hydrogen peroxide is classed as corrosive. Would you really want to put something corrosive on a dogs skin?

Yes it may be used in bleach, and hair bleaching, but usually avoidance to the skin is paramount. Or chemical burns can and will occur, as am sure there has been plenty of photos shown of what can happen to humans when problems arise if you google hard enough.

Enough with the hollistic view, your dog needs to see the vet to firstly rule out what really is the matter, and not second guessing and leave the internet charlatans alone. As it will be the vets who will end up picking up the pieces.

Ceiling Kitty, Meezey and Rafa like this.
  10. marie dora leah

Yes I see what your saying and I also looked up Alludex side effects dammed if I do dammed if I don't

11. lullabydream

Alludex has been approved to be used on dogs..

Its been given licence to treat...not all products do pass this.

No one would take any life saving medicine such as over the counter paracetamol because they can be deadly...and have major side effects.

Nothing in life is risk free...

However health of your dog should be paramount, and this is where vets advice should be sought, or basically you are leaving a dog to suffer which is a criminal offence.

Ceiling Kitty and Meezey like this.
  12. Sled dog hotel

Addvocate spot on also treats demodex.

Ceiling Kitty likes this.
  13. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Advocate is licensed by not very effective in my experience, and you often have to give it at more frequent intervals than standard. Bravecto is not licensed (yet) for demodicosis but seems to work very well.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  14. marie dora leah

Thank you I will check it out

15. Sled dog hotel

As ceiling kitty mentioned and I have also heard too, although it can treat demodex mites and successfully, in some cases it hasn't always worked, particularly I should imagine more in cases of bad infection. You will have to get advocate from the vets anyway. You can find the manufacturers guide lines and advice on using it to treat demodex mites on the link below if you scroll down to Treatment of demodicosis. Obviously your vet will advise further. If you do try it and it doesn't work or isn't improving then you do have the other option ceiling kitty mentioned which is Bravecto which seems to be a more recent treatment they are using for demodex.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-446233

marie dora leah likes this.
  16. marie dora leah

A criminal offence is to poison my pet then watch it suffer .... not me I'm not brainwashed I shall try every avenue will let you know how it goes

17. lullabydream

Who said anything about poison..

Unfortunately whether you like it or not medicine is medicine, and you have already tried a highly corrosive substance on your dog with no thought or consideration of any repercussions...that could have gone horribly wrong. You did it because you thought it was holistic.

Whether you like it or not with holding vet treatment from any animal is a criminal offence, and no animal lover would do so. Even holistic vets, good holistic vets work with modern medicines and not against them.

18. marie dora leah

Excuse me you really have gone rabid ...I have not given .. corrosive substance ...read back on my thread I was simply asking if anyone had used this as a cure then had you do a ....bad owner on me .... the criminal offence attack ... pet forum nope more like vet forum

19. lullabydream

Sorry wrong post...

But one thing you haven't done is take her to the vet...you have rehomed a dog that you have been told has demodex..but you have not visited a vet since, taken poor advice from previous owner...
    I would say most dogs have demodex but it is not a problem whether fed on kibble that's grain free or not...although I hazard a guess the internet would tell you so

You quote that you don't want to see a dog suffering riddled with poison but if your dog is suffering and you are not seeking help..then it is a criminal offence which is exactly what should be stated on pet forums.

Unfortunately I don't make the law, but the law is there to remind pet owners that taking on any pet is a responsibility, including unfortunately financial due to vets visits when necessary.

20. Sled dog hotel

A lot of dogs carry a few demodex mites, but a normal fit dog with a healthy normal immune system, deals with the mites and keeps the numbers down meaning that you don't get symptoms and problems. You can get localised which is a few individual patches usually classed I believe from memory less then 5. Or generalised wider spread and larger areas classed as more then 5. It is more common in puppies and young dogs up to about 16/18 months or so, because puppies have immature immune systems so cant always get on top of the mites so they multiply and cause the issues. Some if its mild/ish will eventually out grown the problem. If it persists or happens in older dogs especially then it can sometimes mean that there is an underlying cause as well, like an immune system issue.

If the Mum has them and high numbers then puppies usually pick them up from mum, in fact I'm sure I have read in the past if its an older dog suffering badly from them I'm pretty sure its advised they are not bred from.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice