Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degus

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sandy67, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Sandy67

Sandy67 PetForums Newbie

I have just acquired 2 degus in a large chinchilla cage. They're in a room upstairs at the moment but I wanted to know if they could be kept in a well lit shed?

2. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Has your shed got heat insulation and has it got heaters of some kind?

3. Sandy67

Sandy67 PetForums Newbie

unfortunately not

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I wouldnt keep them in a shed and as it has no ventilation i wouldnt put an animal out there due to overheating or getting to cold at night. Degus tend to like a bit of company although can be shy to start they will gradually take stuff from your hands and do tame down with a lot of slow handling with them.

5. Sandy67

Sandy67 PetForums Newbie

Thanks...they are really cute and although one is very shy at the moment the other is quite curious. My concern is just the amount of space the cage is taking up at the moment.

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

degus are quite lively and need a fare bit of space. I understand that there cage may be taking up a lot of room. But there so cute i think your enjoy there antics.

7. S Mc

S Mc PetForums Newbie

why did you get degus!!!

8. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

aww i love degus... they make such cute squeaky noises! we couldn't have any because they need such a big cage... im sure you will fit it somewhere as they are lovely :)

9. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

i have degus there great :) wouldnt reccomend a shed though

10. Sandy67

Sandy67 PetForums Newbie

For your information, the degus are fine and dandy and enjoying their current habitat with a nice view from my son's bedroom.

I had given it plenty of consideration before taking the degus home. I even knew they would need a large cage. I just didn't quite see in my mind's eye, how much space the cage would occupy in the room till I put it in there. The shed was just a thought nothing more. The welfare of the animal is far more important to me than space in the house. I reason I asked the question on this forum was to get sound advice to a fleeting thought....not terse comments like yours. Thanks for your input anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice