Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degus!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Lexi-puppy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Lexi-puppy

Lexi-puppy PetForums Junior

hiya i'm just wondring if we have any degu owners on this page!

2. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

I used to own Degus!! Do you have any? They are fantastic little creatures and I really miss mine.

3. Lexi-puppy

yeah he has a catarc now he's five and he's so friendly and loves to play!:D

4. ockers77

ockers77 PetForums Newbie

Hi, Just joined today. I have two three year old girls (Jana and Anna)
    They are great fun and a little bit of a handfull.

5. Lexi-puppy

well wlecome to pet forums!!! mines a handful i only have the one though because the rest of the litter used to bully him so he lives by hisself but hes a really happy degu!:D

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Have you got pictures please peepz :)

7. Lexi-puppy

yep that's right but my 3 squishies (rats!) are much bigger than him. my degu actually reminds me of a squillrel:)

8. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I don't own them but my girlfriend does! One little girl called Willow and three boys, called Pippin, Poppin and Squeaker (I believe! As they can't tell them apart very well anyway :p)

Funny story I could tell you about, its rather rude too though :p When I was at my girlfriend's house, sleeping over for a few weeks, we were all in the living room chatting. Her boy's degu cage was beside the living room door in the kitchen and her dad was standing beside that door, which the chair I was sat in is. Anyway! We were chatting and all of a sudden my girlfriend calls out in the room "put your willy away!" and because her dad was standing beside me and she was looking straight at him, I thought she was talking to her dad! lol! I was so shocked I spun round and noticed one of the degu boys was cleaning his willy and we all burst out laughing! lol! There's definately NO mistaking which is which gender! lol!

9. ilovemypiggies

ilovemypiggies PetForums Newbie

ive never seen them in pet shops round here, just at rabbit and cavy shows.
    how big should there cage be? are they slightly bigger than hamsters?

10. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

hi im new and iv just seen this :D

i have 5 boy degus and 2 girls :p

if anyone lives in the north east of england i can give you the address of the supplier i got mine from -
    Whitehouse Farm :)

they need a chinchilla cage, and also they can be housed with chinchillasd mice which is where i keep mine

xxxx

ill post piccys of them wen they wer babys and wot they look like now if anyone wants to see them

11. xXhayleyroxX

12. louiseddb

louiseddb PetForums Junior

Hi im looking for some degu same sex pair, not bothered about the sex but any info on differences in sex? I have had rats for quite a few years and i would like something that lives a little longer. 2 died recently and i was very sad, i have researched them abit, just not sure whether to get them from pets at home or not would prefer babies and from a breeder. Heard there are many in rescues too. Id like to get as much info before i get them.

Thanks Louise

13. xXhayleyroxX

no problem i can give you info :)

personality wise boys r friendlier, while the girls r more inquisitive. they prefer living in large groups, so id buy at least 2 or more degus. There are a lot of degus in rescue places looking for homes so id suggest u give a degu from there a second chance. Petshops and small petfarms also sell them, it doesn't really matter where you get them from, but they r treated differently, so cruelty could be an issue.
    they r a lot more noisier than rats as they love to sing (yes sing) lol :p
    thr maybe not as tame as rats, as rats love compainionship while a degu would rather explore.

if you need more info or advice just ask xxxxxx

14. Jaynie99

Jaynie99 PetForums Newbie

Can you really keep them with Chinchillas? But Degus are day active & Chins are nocturnal - how does that work?

15. xXhayleyroxX

yeah sure u can :)

depending on the noise level of ur house or how much u interact with them (in our house a lot), they will go to sleep the same time as u. If the chinchillas realise they cnt get muc sleep during the day they'll go to sleep at night or the degus vice versa.
    they get on well together actually, i also keep mice with them but with mice u have to be carfel as some chinchillas dnt like them, or if a mouse is having babys i would suggest moving her for a while as the degu will eat the babys, which i found out the hard way.

16. lindylou

lindylou PetForums Newbie

Hi I bought 2 boy Degus for my sons a week ago. 1 is very nervous and the other is nipping very hard. Can anyone help me solve this please
    :confused::rolleyes:

17. xXhayleyroxX

try opening the cage door and putting a peice of food on your palm or feeding them a treat, this will show them that you provide them with tasty food, meaning they will start to trust you more, after a while they'll start coming up to the door and getting more tamer
    its a waiting game really, they just have to learn to trust you :)
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

18. shaz38

shaz38 PetForums Newbie

I just joined this forum today. I have two male Degus, they are so cute. They are 5 years old. It is nice to 'talk' to people who know what they are! One of mine bit me a couple of years ago and when I tried to tell the doctor what it was he had no idea! (had to go to docs as quite a deep bite! I did get the degu to the vet first though as the reason I was trying to catch him was because he had a small wound on his chest. He was fine, I was the one left with the problem!) Wouldn't be without them though - these things happen. :)

19. xXhayleyroxX

hehe they're beautiful aren't they XD
    mine are currently snoozing in the hammack with the chinchillas hehe
    i love how they sing and talk to each other and wag their tails XD

20. Cat2881

Cat2881 PetForums Newbie

Can someone please help. We adopted 2 male Degu's from Pets at Home last month.

Unfortunatly tonight while we were cleaning their home, one escaped and my kitten caught it.

My husband manage to rescue the degu but it died a few moments later, probably from shock.

My 5 year old was really upset and now i am worried that the other one will fret being on his own.

Does anyone know of any breeders or who will sell one on its own. We live in the North East of UK. Any replies are really appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice