Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degu wheel

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Geee, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Geee

Geee PetForums Junior

Sounds like degu wheel is on its last legs :( Does anyone know pet shop that I can go buy something to keep them going other than p@h?

Theres not much on the internet & not sure if I can justify price of John Hopewell at the moment.

Can they get a mesh one, that seems to be only metalish one on net but they sound dangerous?

2. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

3. Geee

Geee PetForums Junior

Thanks purple for your help. I actually bought one of those wheels but all iv had is problems with it & had no response from the seller only managed to use it for 3months & they been back on the plastic for 2months now. Total waste of money!
    Luckily they dont chew their plastic but I want a bigger one for them.

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Unfortunately John Hopwell is the only real place to go, I wouldn't advise using a mesh wheel as toes and or tails can get caught unless you cover it with something.

You say you can't justify buying one of John's wheels, I would seriously reconsider this as although they are a lot you actually get pretty much a life time guarantee, if anything happens he will replace without any problems.

Do you leave the plastic wheel in the cage or do you just use it for playtime now?

5. Geee

Geee PetForums Junior

My only worry is with the last metal wheel it attached to the cage & ended up wearing a hole in it so had to replace the cage, so I now fear any other metal wheel might do the same but Mr JH wheel doesnt look as heavy.

The plastic one is pretty much in all the time, only gets took out for bath time & even then they look a bit lost without it

6. Geee

Geee PetForums Junior

Mr JH isnt making any wheels at the moment :(

7. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

if you did manage to get one of johns wheels, they attach at 4 points, they have an X plate at the back with a bolt on each point
    they are also well worth the price, we have only ever have 1 break, and he repaired it for us at no cost, and we have 6 of these wheels, and they are all a good 5 years old now!

i would keep an eye on the site, or send him an email and ask him to let you know when hes making them again

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Have you thought about making your own? I'd you have a metal workings near you they will normally do them for a charge

9. Geee

Geee PetForums Junior

JH wheel sounds much better since has 4 points. That was downfall of hand made wheel bought it only had one point & wobbled & rattled from first got it. I think I will send email &ask to be notified on when making them again.
    LostGirl I wouldn't even know where to start for making my own lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice