Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degu Toys?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by alyssa_liss, Jul 24, 2009.

1. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

Anyone help think our goos are bit bored , theve got a house, shelves (more on the way) hanging rope and ladder thing , wheel and tunnel thing

but my OH thinks there still bored, what can i give them to keep them entertained ??

ideas apriciated

2. ikikata

ikikata PetForums Junior

Well, degu's love to chew so buying anything wooden and edible is a very good choice, you can buy sticks and peices of wood from pet shops or you can find branches outside for them to have. But you have to be careful of the different branches you chose as many types of wood are toxic to degu's. Safe wood types include, eating apple, Hazlenut, Hawthorn and Kiln-dried pine. Oviously wheels and flying saucers are a good buy as they keep them fit and entertained. Cardboard can be used in all shapes and sizes from tubes to boxes, as they will rip these up and use them for bedding or just play with them. Wild degu's spend alot of time foraging, so it is a good idea to sprinkle oats or crushed cornflakes around the cage as they willl spend hours searching for them. My degu's love it when i buy them parrot toys as most have bells and jingely bits attached to them, which they spend hours playing with. Also stuffing a sock with hay keeps they entertained for ages as they will try and work out how to get to the hay. Leaving bits of tissue around their cage helps them make a nest and keeps them entertained as they have to look for the tissue. If you have any spare, clean egg boxes put a few treats at the bottom and then fill it with hay, then seal the egg box with some safe rope, and they will spend ages trying to open it. :)

Hope i helped and sorry i wrote so much, lol
    If you have any more questions about degu's dont hesitate to ask :)

P.S they also love coconut shells :D

3. alyssa_liss

theve got wooden things to chew

it was along the lines of hay in a sock, sprinkle oats etc that i was thinking of

4. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

mine have lots of parrt toys in there cages the really like playing with the bells on the end, also why dont you try getting a bucket fill it with shavings and hay and hide treats in there for them mine love the bucket keeps them entertained for hours :)

5. alyssa_liss

Bucket sounds a good idea aswell , what treats do you put in ?

And for oats are normal dry porridge oats ok ?

6. ikikata

ikikata PetForums Junior

yh any oats are fine, aslong as there plain and dont have anything sugary added to them :)

7. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

i use the natural chinchilla mix in [email protected] is a mix of leaves and twigs smells quite nice lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice