Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degu eating sand!!!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Paws89, May 16, 2010.

1. Paws89

Paws89 PetForums Newbie

My degu that i rescued has a funny habit of eating dust sand and i am not sure if this is normal :confused1:
    He is a happy little monster and he seems healthy enough i was just wondering if it is a bad habit

2. NightwishRaven999

NightwishRaven999 PetForums Junior

How old is this degu ?
    Most young degus, especially lone ones do not know what the sandbath is for. Degus are animals that learn by watching other degus.
    If they see their mom rolling in the sand, they will eventually figure out they must do the same. If a degu is alone and has never taken a sandbath or seen another degu take a sandbath, chances are he will not know what it is for.

Take some of the sand and sprinkle it one his back.
    Sprinkle some on the bedding as well...you may find him rolling around.

He/she will eventually learn how to use the sand.

3. Paws89

Paws89 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Thanks for the reply, i am not sure how old he is but he knows how to use a sand bath. He rolls in it for a while and then when he gets bored he starts to eat it. He is not on his own in the cage and will sometimes barge his way to get in the sand bath but after he has had enough he just sits in the sand bath and eats the sand

4. NightwishRaven999

NightwishRaven999 PetForums Junior

Thats entirely normal then.
    From your first post, I assumed you meant he didnt know how to use it and just ate it.
    Degus will sit in their bath for many minutes...its something that gives them lots of enjoyment. They will even hide food or treats in the sand and eat little bits of it...silly degus :lol:

5. Paws89

Paws89 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advise, at least i know not to worry about him now. Its a relief really as its hard to find any info on it :thumbup:

6. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I am pretty sure that eating sand is quite normal...I believe that it aids with digestion anyway!

7. Paws89

Paws89 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advise i think its just me being a paranoid owner:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice