Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degenerative myelopothy im confused!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kinjilabs, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ted has this condition and is really getting weak now, been reading up on google and its confusing, most sites say to exersise one day building it up gradually then rest the next, they dont say how much exersise tho:confused: then vet and hydro tell me to exersise him everyday but little and often, Im trying to find out which is best, he really needs some help now:frown: obviously we will carry on with the hydro, anyone else had a dog with this?

2. rona

rona Guest

It seems quite common in GSDs, so I would look at reputable sites there

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Thanks, have looked on a lot of them but they all seem to say exersise every other day building it up, but dont say how much exersise, Ted gets the leg shakes if he does too much:frown:
    What Im trying to find out is am I doing the right thing for him, very confusing:frown:

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I havent any advice for you other than to say I took Chance for 20 minute slow walks 2 times a day right up until the last month and it lenghthened his life by a year from the diagnosis till when I lost him, I hate reading about dogs with this condition as it is such a heartbreaking one:(.

5. rona

rona Guest

Come on, you have got common sense, you know your dog better than anyone.
    Do what you think is right for Ted.
    If the advice is confusing, then that indicates to me, that it affects every dog differently.
    I have faith in your judgment :)

6. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Well I thought I knew what was right for him, but hes getting worse and Im wondering if he is doing the right exersise, he swims twice a week which I think is helping but the walks frighten me incase Im making him do too much, sometimes he just falls over when we are out and it worries me.

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice, so sorry your dog had it, its an awful condition:frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice