Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degenerative Myelopathy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nina, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I am absolutely dreading the visit to my vets on Wednesday, since I am almost positive that my 12 1/2 year old German Shepherd Dog has degenerative myelopathy.

I know that this disease is prevalent in GSD's, but never thought it would happen to my happy, healthy soul mate. Research has dealt me a bitter blow, since he is definitely displaying all the symptoms. Weakness in his hindquarters, loss of balance etc.

There is no cure, but maybe, just maybe, with an appropriate diet, exercise, drugs and a few prayers, we may just prolong his life.

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about your dog
    hope you can find something to ease his discomfort

3. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed for the vets visit and if it is bad news then I am sure there are ways of keeping him comfortable.

4. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

i really feel for you

our beloved gsd was diagnosed when she was 11 - we managed to give her a good quality of life though until a few months ago when she had a stroke as well and we had to have her pts - she was 15

5. Oh Nina! My heart goes to you...Give him a loving cuddle from me please....I'll keep my fingers crossed.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

sorry to hear that, as said above,hope the vets can give him something to ease the discomfort,

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, it is very much appreciated, and Zak sends his thanks also.

I guess this is the part of dog ownership that we all have to face at some point, but it is never easy. Even writing this post brings a lump to my throat, and all the memories of his adolescence comes flooding back.

He toddled off happily this morning, to work with my husband, and they will have their usual daily walks. Only we now have to lift his back legs into the car each morning (I rather think he likes it now!), and does his usual dance, and hi mum I'm home routine on his return.

Come Wednesday morning however, as soon as the car nears the veterinary practice, he will have that usual devil look in his eye, and once in the surgery, its that don't you come near me growl. He really is an old devil, but my God how I love that old devil!

8. Please give him a loving cuddle from me.

9. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Well, I feel a little more optimistic having visit the vet this morning.

It is his opinion that Zak does not have this disease, and it could be disk problems due to old age. He is on a course of steroids and must return next week. He also remarked how Zak looks a lot younger than his years, and one of the best GSD's he has seen of that age.

I am therefore quietly optimistic, with fingers firmly crossed.

10. michele

michele PetForums Newbie

I wish you both all the very best over the coming vets visits and hope he isnt in too much pain

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice