Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Degenerative Myelopathy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dave Anderson, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson PetForums Newbie

I suspect my 11 year old Beagle/Basset mix has DM based on her symptoms (trouble getting up/walking, dragging rear feet, lots of wobbling and very unsteady when she walks, rear legs getting crossed up).

There are two things that seem "off" to me though:
    1. This came on really suddenly - seems like over the course of just a week or so. I thought DM had a slow and steady onset/progression
    2. She seems to have good days and bad days. There are days where she can stand up with a bit of effort and can walk fairly steadily but then other days where she trouble even getting on her feet. Based on what I've read, this isn't something you see in DM - since it affects the nerves, there's no such thing as a "good" day. Once the pathway deteriorates to a point where symptoms show, it'll never recover... only get worse
    I often have to help her stand and sometimes she winces but I don't know if that's because she's 11 years old and has arthritis or it's something else. She's otherwise a very happy dog and I'm really not ready to say goodbye to her. I'm trying to hold out hope that maybe it's something else.

She's been to the vet and had xrays which showed arthritic knees but he even said he wouldn't think it would cause her particular walking issues. She doesn't SEEM to be in pain when she's getting up and walks. The vet never mentioned DM - found it on Google. I'll be taking her to a different vet but was just looking for as much information as possible

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice