Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Defleaing pipette apparently very upsetting

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Mericatt, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Mericatt

Mericatt PetForums Newbie

13 months ago, I got a half Korat kitten and brought her home. She is very confident, playful, inquisitive and intelligent. I called her Matilda.

She has some unusual behaviours which are apparently common for the korat breed, and we're very close. She is allowed outside but doesn't go far.

I started her with a combination deflea and worming pipette to the back of her neck, and the last time I used it, I got her to jump up on her dresser (she gets treats there and can watch me make dinner) gave her a few Dreamies and quickly did the treatment while she was distracted.

Neither of us were stressed at the time, yet she's reacted very badly to the experience and if I approach her (with treats) while she's on the dresser now, she runs away. This was almost 10 weeks ago and I really should have done another treatment by now, but am put off by her extreme reaction.

I've always had cats and while it annoys them a bit, I've never had one stay freaked out this long.

Any advice please?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mericatt and welcome :)

It is the smell of the spot-on treatments that the cats dislike. Also the fact that it can be cold on the skin. Some of the makes smell worse than others.

One of my cats hated me using Advantage (a flea killer only), and he also hated Activyl too. Got very upset and refused to come near me for a day afterwards.

I am now using Bravecto on him (it's a flea killer only) which thankfully only needs to be given every 3 months, and does not smell anything like as strong as the other makes I tried. It is available from the vet or online with a prescription.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/bravecto-spot-on-flea-and-tick-treatment-for-cats

For a wormer I give him Milbemax total wormer which is a tiny tablet I crush and add to his food. Cats don't need worming every month, but they do need protecting from fleas with a once a month treatment (or once every 3 mths in the case of Bravecto).

May we please see a photo of Matilda if you have one to share? (Fabulous name for a cat btw! :)

#2 chillminx, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Mericatt and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I like the name Matilda too.

I would suggest, when you have to do something icky to do to her, don't combine it with a spot she associates with something nice, because, as you have seen, that may spoil the spot for her. Not all cats are like that but it appears Matilda is. Another neutral spot, using a special treat that is used ONLY for icky things, might work better.

It could have been the smell, or it could have been it stung her skin, or both. Hope you can try the bravecto chillminx recommended and that 3 months between is enough for Matilda to forget about the trauma each time.

Orla, Mericatt and chillminx like this.
  4. Mericatt

Hi Lorilu and Chillminx! Thanks for your replies. I did wonder if it was the one I was using rather than the act itself. I will see if my vet will prescribe Bravecto :D Thank you both so much for your suggestions, hopefully it will help.

tilly in a cupboardsmall.jpg Tilly (4).jpg

chillminx likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Aw, pretty girl. I would respectfully suggest you remove the bell from her collar. Imagine how annoying that must be for a cat, they have such acute hearing.

Mericatt and Linda Weasel like this.
  6. Mericatt

She loves it! Oddest cat I've ever met. Loves her collar and bell.

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Jumpy hates Advocate and tries to run a mile if I start opening the packet.
    I have to grab and hold him first! I always do it during the day when he can go out in the fresh air to help get rid of the smell, never at night when he would be stuck indoors with the strong smell all night.

Mericatt likes this.
  8. Mericatt

Thanks @Treaclesmum - that's such a simple tip and yet seriously effective. I don't remember when I did it last time but quite possibly it was when she was in and staying in. Thank you!

Treaclesmum likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Treaclesmum - Advocate was the absolute worst for my cats too! I stopped using it as a result. It contains a round wormer but one still needs to give a treatment for tape worm if the cats go outdoors. There didn't seem much point in my lot having the combined wormer and flea prevention seeing as they go outdoors and need tape worm treatment too. :)

#9 chillminx, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Treaclesmum likes this.
  10. Mericatt

Yep you're so right... Thank you!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice