Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deer

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 23, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

Well it had to happen!!
    Alfie bumped into his first deer while off lead this morning, since he strained his ligament 10 months ago.
    I really thought he would disappear after it, as they have been driving him wild when he is on lead.
    All he did was a quick sprint for 100yds or so and turned to come back.
    One really pleased and relieved owner :)

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Your heart must of been in your mouth when he set off.
    What a good boy for coming straight back though - I think he deserves a treat.

3. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

There are loads of deer in the parks near me, and they really worry me as there are so many notices about the number of dogs killed by deer even just in the last year. :(

As soon as I see them ahead, I call Daisy back and put her on her lead till we get passed them. Am sure she would be fine, buut don't want to risk it so have never tested the theory...

4. rona

rona Guest

These are wild deer, but yes if you have red deer in a park, they can be very dangerous during the rutting season. A man was killed a few years ago by a red deer stag in our local deer farm

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Hasnt he been a good boy, deserves a nice bit of fresh chicken :D

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Thats great he came back..Any deer can be a danger really, belive me i know haha

Its nice that you can walk him and see the deer but know he isnt going to harm them or get harmed!

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Aww good boy Alfie!!!:D You should have more faith in your training and his behaviour!! :smilewinkgrin:

8. rona

rona Guest

Oh he can be a naughty boy sometimes :D

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Ah but life would be boring with a perfect dog (would be nice for a change though!!) :D

10. rona

rona Guest

No, i'd feel they they had lost part of their character if they were good all the time.
    Even my ace gundog had a mind of her own, she argued with me several times, the worst thing was, she was always right :eek:

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I havent a hope in hell of stopping Oscar, Alfie will put the breaks on if i shout "no" or "leave it".

I avoid the area where the deer are now, as Oscar will literally run for miles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice