Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deed Poll....Anyone Used One?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lisa0307, Apr 28, 2017.

1. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

My friend is getting married and both her and her husband to be are really taken with the idea of him taking her surname rather than her taking his.
    Would they need to go through Deed poll to do this or not?
    If they do, where is the best place to go for a Deed poll?
    All help appreciated
    Thanks x

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I know a friend of my sisters did this prior to marriage. He changed his surname before marriage by deed poll, so that as a family, they all had the same surname. She had children by a previous relationship in her maiden name, and he really was the only father figure the children knew...

Am not sure the ins and out of deed poll, however it can't be too complicated as I know various people have done it painlessly, some did it online. However that was a few years ago and things may have changed.

Edit to add..i even know someone who changed his full name to be named after a local radio station...it was very strange people calling him a shortened version of that...he did change it back though!

#2 lullabydream, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    lisa0307 likes this.
  3. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Can't answer your question. However, in Japan, a groom can take his wife's surname if she is an only child so her family name is carried on.

lisa0307 likes this.
  4. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

A couple in my last church did this, so that her family name would continue.

I changed my name by deed poll eleven years ago; a friend who is a solicitor organised it for me. One thing to watch out for: there are SO many people and organisations to tell! Oh, and get lots of copies of the deed, as you have to send them to various organisations.

lisa0307 likes this.
  5. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I'm sure i heard it was easy and cheap, i thought about changing mine to match my numberplate ;)

lisa0307, lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Doesn't the signing of the register act like a deed poll? I've never heard that women have to do one when they get married so I'm not sure a man would need to.

ETA: I tell a lie, they do need to. That hardly seems fair.

http://www.ukdp.co.uk/name-change-marriage/#men

7. lullabydream

Interested now in what your number plate is!

8. lullabydream

Although...that information is slightly confusing because you can rename yourself anything you want technically...so you don't have to wait till you are married.

So many children today, from my experience have a 'surname' which is not technically their own. So say on the class register they can be called one thing but on official documents, if their name hasn't been changed by deed poll or their biological parents have married, then it will be a different name.

9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

You do need to change by deed poll unless you are a woman getting married. Then you just need to send a copy of your marriage certificate to all the official sources.

10. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Had a reply from the deed poll office... It says the following.

"By convention, official bodies in the U.K. will accept a marriage certificate as proof of certain "straightforward" changes to your surname following marriage, which include —

• either partner taking the other partner's surname
    • double-barrelling both partners’ surnames (the surnames can be in either order, with a space or a hyphen)
    If you want to make this kind of a change, you won’t need a deed poll as proof of your change of name — your marriage certificate is enough.

But if you want to change any of your forenames, or add / remove a forename, then you'll need to have a deed poll — you can't use your marriage certificate.

The same goes if you want to change the spelling of you or your partner's surname at the same time, or combine your surnames in some way to make a new surname, or add another element or name to your surname (or take something away) in which case you'll also need a deed poll.

If anything isn’t clear or you've got any questions, please get in touch."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice