Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Decorating Ideas Please!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jess2308, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Hiya,

Im trying to get my house decorated before little Evie comes home in 2-3 weeks as of course, i dont want to be painting with a tiny puppy in the house!! The downstairs of the house is the same boring magnolia as when we moved in 3 years ago :eek: Its the cheap paint the builders used which rubs right down to the plaster board if I have to wash the walls at all, so it definately is well overdue an upgrade :D I am RUBBISH at decorating so need some inspiration!!

So, the living room... It is quite small, the house is only one of those new build 2 bed semis so has boxy rooms. But, the main problem is that it is set back off the road with a house on the right (right next to the window) set infront, which blocks a lot of light. So, whilst it would be fun to go for some glamourous goth red or something, I think that would be a bad idea :lol: Im not keen on very bright colours like blues or greens. The room has dark beige/brown carpets (so as not to show the dog prints :lol: ) and I have a dark brown leather sofa and a large pine bookshelf/tv area - as you can tell, nothing has been bought to match :D First home and all, most of it has been given to me!! In my bedroom I have a nice dark purple, shimmery paint "feature wall" and pale purple on the other walls which looks lovely, but that room is much bigger than the living room and i dont know if a feature wall would be a bit much in a small room??

Next, kitchen/dining room. Lovely bright room, nice and big. Stainless steel cooker, pine effect worktop/cupboard thingys. Was thinking of a brighter colour like a warm yellow (not bright yellow) but not sure if that will look a bit insipid :eek:

Any inspiration (especially with pics as i am somewhat lacking in imagination!!!lol) would be wonderful! Two things to bear in mind... 1) i will be doing it myself and im not very good at DIY so nothing too fancy :D and 2) no wallpaper! Never done it before and would make a mess of it!

Ta guys!

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sounds abit like my decorating scheme. Magnolia walls, brown leather sofa (although I have pet proof laminate flooring!!).:eek:
    TBH I did the different colour schemes when I first moved then went back to magnolia, I prefer just changing the soft furnishing and pictures when I want a change.
    Yellow sounds nice for the kitchen though.;)

3. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Ooooh I love decorating. I am the DIY queen in our house :D

If your lounge is on the titchy side (like mine) why don't you go for a colour from Crowns 'Whispers' range. That gives a good range of different light colours without being overpowering or Dulux's 'Natural Hints' (similar sort of thing as Crowns). There is another range (name eludes me at mo) which is something like 'light and space' which is suppose to be light reflective giving the appearance of more room.

I'm not massively keen on yellow, although saying that I do have a colour called Custard in my downstairs loo, it's like the colour of egg yolks. I love it but it's not to everyones taste.

You could always just do a feature wall in your kitchen rather than the whole room maybe. I've got quite a large kitchen/diner and two walls are in a very pale beige colour and two (where the kitchen units are) is a deep red. I really like it although it's been that way for nearly 5 years so maybe time for a change for me too!

4. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Go with hints of colours rather than a bright colour if you arent adventurous (or simply dont like bright colours)

Ive gone back to cream walls for the most part and changed the soft furnishings to add colour

Our living room is also small and dark , so we have a light hint of peach on the walls , plenty of lamps and a huge mirror on the 'main' wall to open out the room a little
    the colour mainly comes from the throws we use on the sofa and chairs and scatter/floor cushions ... our Grandkids love to lounge around on the floor rather than sit on the sofa :)

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Is your living room a true square or sort of rectangular?

If it's the latter, you could make one of the 'short' walls a feature wall which would make it seem a bit longer and not so overpowering.

Also, to give height to the room you could do a two-tone effect - a bit Victorian looking with a pale colour up top & a darker colour on the bottom with a border or, if you feel very brave, a dado rail in the middle.

The best thing to do is to grab some of the home mags you can get, or try clicking on this:

interior design ideas - Google Search

See what you like and how you can best copy it.

Good luck and we want piccies of the finished results!! :D

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Yes you can have a feature wall in a small room, if you have wallpaper on one wall dont go for big prints (big flowers) keep the pattern small.
    What about a duck egg blue and beige, duck egg for the feature wall and the get curtains to match aswell as cushions, then the other 3 walls in a soft beige (like a frothy coffee colour).
    Kitchen could go Medium Terracota, all earthy colours look nice with pine cupboards, also a nice plum colour would look nice too. OR Dark colour on the wall where you cooker is and then a contrasting colour around the room, blinds in the same colour as the cooker wall. I would go silk in the kitchen as it is easy to wipe down and wont rub off. All matt emulsions especially Crown and Dulux are all now wipeable, DONT be tempted to buy B&Q's own make paint it is rubbish, pay a few pounds more and get a good make. The Range have a deal on now 2 tins for £20 which is a saving of £10. Home base have a sale buy one get one free or half price (not sure which one now).

7. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

We are rubbish at adding color to the wall so when we knocked through our kitchen we still painted it magnolia :rolleyes: but bought some colorful art for the wall instead :D
    [​IMG]

8. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Pointermum, your rooms are beautiful! :D

Maybe plain walls and a bit of colourful art might be a good idea. I wanted to put a big mirror in the living room but the cheap build quality (gotta love new houses!!) means I cant as the walls arent strong enough to hold it - i cant even fix my TV onto the wall!!

Will certainly have a look through the paint ranges mentioned and see if anything strikes me, I really would like a more interesting colour than magnolia, but it does always look clean and fresh that colour...

The room is slightly rectangular but on the short ends one has the window which takes up most of the wall (for all the use it does :rolleyes: ) and the other has a large shelving unit taking up almost the entire wall. Though, perhaps putting a bright colour behind that might work as it wouldnt be too OTT but would be noticable through the shelves and around the TV... Hmmm... That could work!

9. DaisytheTT

Don't worry you can put a heavy mirror up on the new build plasterboard walls. I should know I have lived in two and have put heavy objects up. :D We currently have a very heavy 3 foot by 2 foot pine mirror in our lounge. If you go to any well known diy store, there you will find rawplugs specifically for plasterboard walls. They go into the wall exactly the same as old fashioned raw plugs but once you have pushed them in they have two arms which spring out which hold onto the plasterboard. You can then put a screw into them. The only thing with them is once they are up I think they are quite difficult to remove, so it might be worth going to the expense of having a handyman put them up for you.

Pics please when you do decorate :D

10. DaisytheTT

Absolutely beautiful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice