Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

decisions

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by rhian d, May 21, 2010.

1. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

Ok so I now have a dillema. After speaking to the lady that owns the cat visiting our patio door who's name is louis I dunno if I wanna let my 2 out. She tells me that her louis is and aggresive cat in general and she said that he used to fight all the time with the cat that used to live here and that louis would come in this house. She once went into her house to find the old cats fur everywhere and once found its collar in her house. Now I don't wanna sound like I am being stupid but I wanna protect my cats from this cat that sounds really evil. My querstion is would it be cruel to keep my cats in just because of this 1 cat or should I just let them out and see what happens ?

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

mine are indoor cats and they are fine, they have tunnels and scratch post boxes etc to play with.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Dunno whether an aggressive cat is an aggressive cat or whether it depends on the other cats as well. Perhaps the cat and the former one just wound themselves up.

If it was me I would have supervised meets to see whether they couldn't be friends (you could have a spray bottle ready just in case it goes a bit pearshape). Has there been any posturing through the glass or has that been quite a friendly exploration?

Have your cats been out in your previous house? If yes, then I think you will have a hard time keeping them in.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

It's a hard one. We have a feral cat around here and he is a horrible bully, I just wish I had taken him in when he was a kitten but that's another story.

He bullied my moggy last year and it got to the stage where I had to keep her in, obviously he not neuetered so that does not help.

I agree that if they have been used to going out supervised (daytime) going out would possibly be okay. I wouldn't advise letting them out at night as this is when all the fights seem to start.

If they have never been out they will be fine indoors as long as they have space to play and scratch posts/trees, toys etc. :)

5. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

thanks guys :) they have always been indoors cats as we didnt wanna let them out at the old house just to moved and have them just get used to one area and move.

I really wanna let them out but my OH doesn't. The outside cat louie sits at the door making noises and my 2 just sit there watching him and roll around as well so it dont really bother them thru the glass but i no it could be a whole diff story when they are outside. i just think they would be happier outside will have to see what happens.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think i would let them out under supervision. This Cat might not have liked the cat that lived in your house but it doesn't mean to say that about yours.
    Also there are two of them.
    I would carry some water in a spray bottle just in case.
    Also i wouldn't let them out at night or when it starts to get dark.
    Often i hear cat fights in the night where i live but you can't see them!!

Good luck!

7. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

yer i would def not let them out at night and i am going to get a micro chip cat flap as louie the outside cat used to come in this house. he is a tom that has not had the snip which is my worry. he was at our catflap again about 11 o'clock last night i have had to put tape over it as he opened the locked door :S

8. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Senior

I think you should let them out. There are two of yours and so together they should be OK.

9. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

He just sounds like a big bully cat who will probably need putting in his place at somepoint by one or both of yours, the previous cat was probably [no offence to it] a bit of a walkover.

Happened with us, when we moved here we were warned of the big grey cat, he was the neighbour thug and a right nasty piece of work, well our jack being 9years old and the ruler of the roost didnt stand for that long and they had a massive fight and jack faught him off.

Cats will sort out thier difference and often the screaming is making it sound worse then it is

10. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

yer i have no worries about oakley its just dillon as he is a big softy and can be a bit senceless at times. i suppose am just worried as they have never been out before and i dont want thier first ecperiences to be fighting with a bigger cat. (that sounds so stupid lol) they have never come close to another cat outside off thier home so i dont know wether they would run away stand there and do nothin or standup for thier selves.

11. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Yeah i agree with the supervised meets or what you could do is introduce them in a situation where food is involved, therefore they will associate each othert with a pleasant experience!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice