Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 29, 2010.

?

Aston or Sussex?

1. Aston (Birmingham)

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Sussex

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Really can’t decide which uni to go to if I go at all. Going to write down all the pros and cons again in the hope it might help. If anyone has any opinions or thoughts feel free to mention things, might even help :)

Both for Business Management:

Aston (Birmingham):

Positives:
    Business School
    Quite a decent reputation particularly in Business
    Usually take students with AAB or ABB at A Level so relatively high calibre people
    88% of their graduates were employed within 6 months (this is about the average amount) in a GRADUATE job too
    Placement year in year 3 which is paid, average salary of £14,000
    Fantastic accommodation. Literally dream halls of residence for me.

Negatives:
    It’s a 4 year course
    Your final year is 75% of your degree and based on your placement, what if its too hard?
    Bit further away to where Mum wants to move to so probably not go home quite as much
    Its Birmingham = big city and I’ve been brought up in the country

Sussex University:

Positives
    :
    Better as an all rounder uni in league tables than Aston
    Not been but looks really nice campus
    Three year degree
    Near to brighton
    Not as far to where Mum wants to move
    Its meant to be easier to get into countryside than Bham I’ve been told
    Could probably get home a bit more often (maybe twice a month instead of once lol)

Negatives:
    It doesn’t have as good reputation for business as Aston
    It has no placement year
    Both could affect my chances of a job but how much I’m not sure as Aston isn’t tonnes better but it does have a placement
    Their accommodation isn’t very nice (I’m not fantastic with people, I’m alright but I could do with having space which I like to try and do as well as I should)

I think my head says Aston and my heart says Sussex. Not sure which to go with though as my head might benefit me more in the long run, but my heart means I’m probably more likely to stick it out if I do hate it. But then with Aston I probably have slightly better prospects, its just whether I would manage it or not.

I will add a poll in a second to. Any opinions or experience are greatly valued right now :(

2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

If I had to choose....based on those pros and cons....i'd go for Aston - because of the placement year(getting paid!!), business school and employment success afterwards.

3. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

i'd go for aston to based on the pro's

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I'd say Aston.

5. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I'd say Aston for the quality of the education and have faith in yourself you can manage the last year!

As for it being right in the city when you've been brought up in the country - it's good to experience both. You'll have access to more amenities and lets face it when you're at Uni you'll make the most of the night life etc with your new friends and you're old ones will want to visit and crash in your halls! lol!

Laura :)

6. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

I'd say the open university, then you could stay at home:thumbup:

7. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Aston looks like the better uni from what youve said BUT ive voted sussex as its closer to your mum and I know you are worried about leaving roo behind.

Its only stats at the end of the day, im sure you will come out of sussex just as brilliant!!!:)

8. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I'd say Aston - from what you've written it sounds by far the better course and will give you better prospects for the future. Your reasons for Sussex are all based on your social life for the next four years, rather than your future and your career.

I know that four years seems like a lifetime to you just now - but, believe me, it will pass in a flash. And compared to the rest of your life, it is nothing. And you won't be completely cut off from your mum and the countryside for the whole time - when you count up all the holidays a good nine months of the four years will be spent away from uni - and that's not including your placement.

You already know the answer - you've said your head is telling you Aston. Go for it! :thumbup:

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oh I don't care about my Mum but my dog will live with my Mum while I'm away :lol:

Sussex isn't more for my social life, I'm not into getting drunk very often its more I don't know if my head will cope at Aston with it being so different. I have funny circumstances and so I think Aston will be much more difficult for me than Sussex and so I stand a higher chance of dropping out.

Even after all you guys think Aston I still don't fell happy about the though of going there, I feel crap about it :(

Thanks for all the replies, not even sure what I want to hear..!

10. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Aww hunni I think you just answered your own question with this statement. Your heart's not into Aston which wasn't that clear from what you said earlier in the post. If you feel that much happier about Sussex then go there. You'll make th eright decision and I'm sure you'll do great wherever you go. Don't think you might not be able to go before you get there - think positive!

Laura :)

11. rona

rona Guest

You know what I think :thumbup:

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I would say Sussex- nice campus, near to Brighton, in the South Downs for your countryside needs. Only three years so you will earn some money more quickly - I really doubt that a placement year really will have such a great impact. You could still get your work experience if you get some work placements during the summer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice