Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

decidous teeth

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dohaspecial, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dohaspecial

dohaspecial PetForums Junior

my g/f mentioned 'needle teeth' and that the baby or needle teeth would fall out with time to be replaced by the adult permanent ones. I couldnt remember any such thing with my first dog (it is 20years since he was a pup mind you!) and of course rubbished her claim as rubbish ;)

to my horror i found the following today when trying to back up my stance:

Retained Deciduous (Baby) Teeth in Dogs

looks like i have some humble pie to eat! but seriously what are peoples experiences with puppys teeth falling out and teething etc??

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My dads lab (who is now 10) was terrible when she was teething! She chewed everything, bled everywhere, and had a habit of leaving her teeth on my bedroom carpet! :eek:

I can't remember waht Dixie was like. I know my old colle x lab Roxy left hers because I still have some of them.

Dave hasn't been bad, he hasn't chewed anything he's not supposed to, and has swallowed most of his I'm sure because I haven't found any, apart from one i had to pull out, it was hanging by just a thread and must have been nipping him when he tried to eat because he kept yelping. I kept that one too (Yep I'm odd).

The staffi x we took in last year though I had to take her to the vet as she snapped one of her puppy teeth and the adult tooth was coming through, with the bleeding it got infectid, the vet had to pull it out and give her some white powder to stop the bleeding and an antibiotic.

x

3. rona

rona Guest

Yes, lots of humble pie I'm afraid.
    Watch out for the extra chewing around this time :D

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

they start teething around 16 weeks. you will notice the front ones going first and by around 5 and a half months there should be a mouthful of nice white adult teeth. My pup is actually chewing less since she started losing teeth.

5. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

Yes, all dogs have deciduous teeth! Often some will become retained (usually the canine teeth). If they have not fallen out by the time of their spay/neuter we usually remove them while they are under anesthetic.

Some dogs can go through getting their adult teeth without any outward signs while others will be cranky and have a sore mouth. Sometimes you can find the teeth in the house and some dogs will just swallow them.

Dr. Marie.
    Online Veterinary Advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice