Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deciding upon a snake.

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Jammin, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Jammin

Jammin PetForums Newbie

So I was with my little brother getting crickets for his bearded dragon, and it was feeding time for the Anaconda and the Pythons, i must say quite an interesting thing and i was looking at getting an albino python due to it being brighter colours the orange and yellows, then i came on this forum and saw some corn snakes which also interest me. So right now im wondering which i should get or if there are any other kinds i should look at. And which are easier to keep care of and are more docile? should i breed mice or buy them, and feed it alive or dead.

2. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

The top three snakes for beginners if you are one are The Corn Snake, The Californian King Snake and the Egg Eating Snake
    Also done breed your mice I suggest you just buy them also alot of snakes will only eat dead mice.

Hope that helps!
    IF you want more info just PM me or write a comment here!
    Geko

3. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

corn snake would be your better choice, and they are easy to get hold of, the egg eating snakes are quite diffucult to encourage to feed if you got a baby (and they only eat eggs, which means you have to try and get suitable sized eggs for the snake, which isnt as easy as getting mice)

phythons are more for an experienced owner, the get pretty big in size and can be unpredictable in personality, they can also become quite expensive to feed due to the size that they reach.

they may be pretty but not for the beginner.

i have corn snakes for sale.

if you would like more info please pm me

hope that helps a bit.

4. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

Remember to keep one back for me Zoe:laugh::D

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I also wouldnt recommend a python they arent really beginner snakes as they can be very fickle with thier feeding which even big snake owners can struggle with :)

they also grow very large

Corns are fab, king snakes are easy and i love lover western hognoses they are the funkiest little snakes!

Feed dead its better imo for both animals the mouse doesnt suffer through the killing of a snake and the snake is safe from an attacking mouse they have been known the kill snakes if left in the viv, they can cause very sore wounds to a snake through a bite as not all snakes feed each time a mouse is put in

Good luck and it gets addictive havin snakes lol

6. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

hey geko,

lol dont worry will deff keep you one back. ive got 13 feeding atm, 5 being force fed and 9 due to hatch next week lol

soooo got plenty.

;)

7. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

Corns are excellent beginner snakes. They usually feed well and are easy to keep, not sensitive to slight mistakes in the set up, so very forgiving to keep. They are friendly, outgoing, and often out and about in their vivariums. They rarely bite, although hatchlings can be 'flighty' and more inclined to nip, so a well grown on, well handled, guaranteed feeder is amust if you are starting out with a 'baby' corn as opposed to an older corn.

Royal Pythons are actually often recomended as beginners snakes. I do agree with this, as they usually have docile temprements. They can be fussy feeders, but in my experience, feeding problems are usually related to incorrect set up. However, they are not always a 'display' snake. Because Royals live in rodent burrows in the wild, they do not alway dlik ot live in vivarums, and if they are in vivariums, it should be kept very crowded with plants and hides. Hatchlings or young royals shouldn't be kept in vivariums at all in my experience, and a faunarium type set up is best for these. Royals are also best kept in 'low traffic' areas, so quieter parts of the house. Royals don't get big, five foot maximum for females, males often much smaller.

I keep corns and royals, and love them both. However, had I had the royals first, I might never have got corns. The best thing you can do would be to research, research, research and ask as many shops and breeders as possible and take your time. I would say that I personally feel though, that if you're going to go for a Royal, go for an older snake that is an establishe dfeeder, from someone experienced enough to be able to offer good advice if you have problems with feeding. And be prepared not to panic if it doesn't eat for months on end... :D

8. MrsFeisty

MrsFeisty PetForums Junior

I'd get a baby boa personally. They're generally very handleable, great eaters and look stunning. I've just bought one for my son's 13th birthday, and it's great as it'll grow with him.

Obviously though if you don't want a snake that will get big, then you'd be better off with a corn or a royal, both are great beginner snakes, although if you went for a royal you'd be wise to see it eating before taking it home. A reputable breeder/dealer will be more than happy with that.

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

i agree that corns are best for beginners, california king snakes are good but can be "funny" i hade one that would always try to bite me

10. zoeeoo

zoeeoo PetForums Member

if u want a docile snake got for a royal python or corn snake i have had both and i would pick a royal any day they not fast movers they seem to chill in your hands the corn snakes do tend to move alot more and a bit faster when babies people do say royal are fussy but i have had 2 non feeders in my time and got the one striking the 2nd feed and the one i kept assist feeding untill i though she was ready. u will knwo what snake u want, u can keep royals in 3ftx2ftx2ft viv they dont need much space coz it stress then out so can stop feeding. but i have had 5 or 7 royals and i brough the 2 as assist feeders so u could get one thats feeding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice