Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Decided to go ahead and operate

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nellybelly, May 25, 2010.


  1. Nellybelly

    Nellybelly PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    Messages:
    7,681
    Likes Received:
    78
    This is an update on my thread "Dilemma - to operate or not?" as I don't know how to edit thread titles.

    Just a summary, we suspect Bella has a forgein body (grass seed?) in her paw and not sure if this is still in there or if it came out when a cyst on her paw burst, but despite soem improvement, the paw is not healing fully.

    Just a few hours ago I was happy with my decision to keep waiting and see how it goes seeing Bella is happy in herself and only mildly bothered with her paw...but then my mom commented on how it really hadn't improved at all since FRiday...and it is true - it hasn't. It's been almost 3 weeks Bella has been on antibiotics and I don't like this aspect either...but the paw has not improved enough for our vet to feel safe to stop these.
    Now my vet knows me very well and knows just how neurotic I am. He appreciates my opinion and I know I will play a big part in whether tomorrow will be just to check the paw over and talk, or whether she will be booked in for surgery. She is on antibiotics which is the vet feels there is no need to hurry things if there is a chance Bella's paw is free of foregin objects and will heal with time. However, the past 5 days I've seen no real change which is what worries me.
    Initially the paw was very very inflammed with no cyst present, then a cyst developed, this cyst then burst, and after this the wound showed some hleaing and improvement...but these past 5 days it has been stable (which is a bad thing in this case as it should have continued healing further).

    My main hesitation in going ahead and opening up her paw is that Bella is currently a happy active girl enjoying life, with only occasional licking of her irritated paw. I know post surgery we will be on rest, restricted waling and very probably the dreaded buster collar. But on the other hand we have given a very fair chance for her paw to heal - have been to the vets 6 times for this. He has used local anaesthetic one of these times to see if he can find any foreign bodies through a tool that fits in a tiny hole... so now our only options are waiting or acting more drastically.

    So my decision, either book her in for surgery asap, or maybe give one very last ultimatum until Friday.

    Going to the vet tomorrow morning. If he isn't too busy with his routine scheduled operations he might fit Bella in tomorrow. So here comes a sleepless night of worry for me, while Bella is lying tummy up without a care in the world...but I wouldnt have it any other way:) It's good to knwo I can do the worrying for her, so she can enjoy being a happy girl!
     
  2. Mum2Heidi

    Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    13,030
    Likes Received:
    3,973
    Sorry to hear this. Seem to have missed this totally and didnt realise Bella had been having problems with her paw (bless her).

    Sounds like you've got it all under control (the worrying pecking order). Will be thinking of you both tomorrow and hope her paw heals quickly now.
     
  3. Dally Banjo

    Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Messages:
    17,693
    Likes Received:
    461
    Id probably do the same as you & get it over with Im sure Bella will be fine its just the waiting hope you both get a good nights sleep & you never know the culprit may be showing its face tomorrow so can be whipped out xxx
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice